Glass Cardinals had babies

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Glass Cardinals had babies

Post by Fishfood »

I have my fuge full of about 50-60 baby Glass Cardinals. I don't expect many, if any to make it but it was the least I could do to catch the Cardinal carrying the eggs and get him out of the main tank.. When I did that he spit out the eggs and I put them in the fuge. As soon as they hit the water they started to hatch. We will see what happens. I'm not going to prep food for them or anything.. If a few make it they make it. I'll try to keep you all informed if some are still alive in a month or two.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Hatch some baby brine. You can borrow my hatcher if you want.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I think its too late? I don't see anymore in there. Its too hard to tell with all the algae in there. I'm sure these guys will be on a regular cycle so I'll give it a few months before I try catching the next batch. It was too hard to get him out of the tank the last time.. but somehow I managed with only taking out one rock.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

You might be surprised, they are really hard to see when they're tiny. Who knows, one day you may look in there and seem some swimming around. It wouldn't hurt to put some rotifers in there just to try, but you may see a couple later on even if you dont. :)

I never even know the little guys are in my 37 until they're big enough to see well, so I never feed the fry but they seem to find something to eat anyway. By the time I see them they can eat flakes.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Redfish wrote:Hatch some baby brine. You can borrow my hatcher if you want.
I might just have to take you up on that if i try to catch him down the road to get the eggs. Like I said I don't want to put too much effort into this but it would be interesting raising a few of those guys. From the info I found they usually will carry eggs about 17-20 days after the last batch was released, if they are a good pair. Then they hold the eggs about 8-9 days on average.

I'm going to watch them the next few months to see if i can get the timing down if they get into a regular pattern. That way it gives me time to catch the male when i want to attempt raising them.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Let me know.