How do you clean your socks ?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

How do you clean your socks ?

Post by snoopdog »

My sumps came with those micron socks, the 75 gallon sock was so dirty in a week the water backed out of the top. Even after rinsing it out it looks dirty, how do you clean them ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

We have 2.....a 50 micron and a 100 micron. We have decided that they are the best little mechanical filter you can buy for $10. You can get them from ereeftank.com and I would suggest EVERYONE use them.

Charlie turns ours inside out and searches for pods, etc. Then he washes them with hot water in a bucket to get out as much stuff as he can. After that, he leaves them soaking in a bucket of water and clorox for about 2 days. When he is ready to use them, he rinses well and then refills the bucket with fresh tap water. He puts a few drops of chlorine neutralizer in the water and lets it sit for an hour or so.

We switch ours out every 2 days or so (really as needed) and discovered that they are THE GREATEST filter in the world. So much for spending $200 on a canister!

When you come for the meeting, I will show you!

Elizabeth
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Ok cool.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I have been running the sock filters for couple of yrs. All I do is rinse them out real good. Spray them from inside and out hard with a hose. Ring them out good and place back in sump. I agree they do a great job and would not run without them. IMO I would not clean them that good, just unclog them. They are part of the filter system and like sponge filters just rinse them well. A little dirt is not bad. I run two bags on my 240gal. One on each skimmer box drop. I have to clean usually about 3-4 days right now but expect to clean less as the tank settles. ( the 240 has only been up for 2 months and the southdown still sends up a little dust when the fish dig and play.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

I clean my socks in the washing machine ;) get it?

Well we aren't running the socks all of the time but I figured out the high pressure nozzle on the hose thing out... The weren't coming clean otherwise.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Is it possible/effective to use the mocron socks if the water intake is below the sump water line. (the micron bag would be under water instead of the water dropping "down through" the bag.

Thanks
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Sure, the water still has to flow through the bag. Anything that would flow through the bag in the water would flow through it out of the water.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Ok... if anyone is ordering these bags I'd like to fo in and get a few with them. Save the fedex guy a trip !

Lemme know.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "