Algea..... tell me what ya know

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

SaltnLime
Chromis

Algea..... tell me what ya know

Post by SaltnLime »

Wondering how to control green hair algae. The stuff that looks fuzzy and can take over a tank in a week or so. I have alittle growing in my tank and want to keep it in check.

Course, keep in mind I have a small tank so I can't really add any large herbivores.

Also a less severe problem is the coraline growth. I really like the way it looks, but i cleaned the glass this morning and it encrused 4 or 5 little dots on the front glass already today. The mag float won't touch it so I have to razor blade it....doh!

Thanks
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

psst...conch

once they find it its SOL
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I've read that mexican hermit crabs will eat the hair algae too.... Anyone got a few extras? Or know where I can get some to see if they will work.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

removed double post...this is much better. :D
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

B&B Has some fighting conches. I picked up two of them, neat little critters. I like the way they mix up the sand-bed. I had what looked like was going to be a cyano outbreak (little patch of red on the sand). Saw them working on that... and it is gone this morning.

I think 1 $9 conch special would do you a lot of good.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Do those get huge? Do they remove green hair algae cause thats about all I have now. .
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I personally don't know what all they eat.. Algae, diatoms, detritous, stuff :)
I think you're thinking about the Queen Conch that gets really big though. I think these guys get like a max of 3" or so.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Well this is what they say about hair algae, first if nitrates exist remove them first. Then tangs...but your tank is wayyyy too small for tangs. Some emerald crabs will eat it in small amounts. Lettuce nudibranch if and only if you can keep it away from power heads. Best way to remove it is to kill nitrates which is normally the source. Also macro algae grown in a non-visible place will help i hear.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

snoopdog wrote:Well this is what they say about hair algae, first if nitrates exist remove them first. Then tangs...but your tank is wayyyy too small for tangs. Some emerald crabs will eat it in small amounts. Lettuce nudibranch if and only if you can keep it away from power heads. Best way to remove it is to kill nitrates which is normally the source. Also macro algae grown in a non-visible place will help i hear.

I need to order test kits online. Looking for a good price on saliferts tests. When I tested my water a week ago the nitrates were fine. I did a 1 gallon water change today though and added and extra gallon to the sump level.

I will do another 2 gallons tomorrow. May try an emerald crab too. They have some at B&B for $9. I just hate to spend my $$ there. Their tanks look like crap and almost all of thier prices are WAY high.

They say turbos eat the stuff, but if so my turbos wont touch the established algae.......maybe they are keeping it a bay , but certainly ont making it go away.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

You can get those crabs much cheaper than that buddy.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

It's a normal part of a new tank. If you buy too many algae eating critters they will starve to death when it is gone. It will go away (as long as there isn't anything causing it) in a few weeks. Just pull some out and get a small clean up crew.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.