Setting up a refugium

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

megelBeagle
Amoeba

Setting up a refugium

Post by megelBeagle »

I've decide to make the leap and setup a sump based refugium. Problem is I don't know how. :D
I know a overflow, a tank, pump and some baffles are involved. But not much beyond that.
Is there a simple, cheap way to get this accomplished? My reef tank is 33 gallons, I was thinking I would get a 10-20 gallon tank to use as the refuge.... Any thoughts?
I'd like to spend less than $150 dollars (light and pump included)
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Your options are to either drill the tank and plump it to flow down into sump or use an overflow box with a U tube to siphon water down into the sump.

As far as what do do from there... it will depend alot on how much space under the stand you have.... if you want an auto top off setup (water reservior with a line going to a float valve in the sump that adds water as it evaporates) then you will need a place for the reservoir and the sump and in a stand the size you likely have that would be tough...unless you can place the reservoir outside the stand or opt to not have one.

Does the refugium have to be under the stand out of site or could you do a gravity fed refugium off to the side lower than the tank, and then flow back down to a sump under the tank? ( that would give you enough room in the sump for equiptment (return pump, skimmer, heater etc) while still having a seperate refuge area.) This would require a seperate stand for the refuge, but can be a nice setup....and most of us reef geeks find ourselves lying on the floor looking in the sump at the critters anyway... might be nice to have it out in the open for all to see.

Ill see if I can find some picture examples of differnt options... In the meanwhile maybe others can chime in.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

There are lots of ways....I take a side stream or part of the water going from the main tank to the sump and send it to the fuge which is a few inches higher than the sump then had it drilled to drain to the sump....This way no pump is needed all I needed was a light...little bit to pvc couple of valves and a drilled tank....As a safety net I suggest having the fuge drilled with two drains to sump....in case one gets pluged up the other will catch it....
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

Thanks for the responses.
There is a closet (about 3'x4') right next to the tank. I have cleaned it out for this very purpose. I could place the fuge at any level inside the closet (thanks to some shelving) So I could place it above, below, or level with the tank. I really can easily place it whereever is most ideal.

I would like to avoid drilling, though. They don't let me use sharp objects or power tools. :wink:
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
Phishwater
Amoeba

Post by Phishwater »

megelBeagle wrote:They don't let me use sharp objects or power tools. :wink:
Thats for sure!
megelBeagle
Amoeba

HellllPPP!!!

Post by megelBeagle »

Alright I have purchased a 20 L refuge tank. It's sitting above the main tank in a closet. Those shelves came in handy. So I figured I would set up my Canister to take from the main tank and output into the refuge. Now I just need a good way to get the water back down to the main taink
What's the best overflow box?
That has to be higher rated than the water coming in right?
Can this thing break and flood my house?
What are the scenrios where the overflow box would fail?
What's the relationship between the GPH coming in and the rating of the overflow box.
What happened when the power goes out.
Where do babies come from?

Should I really think about drilling? :?: :?: :?:
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I personally would tank the tank and get it drilled....less chance of a mess.... :roll:
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

tbmoore wrote:I personally would tank the tank and get it drilled....less chance of a mess.... :roll:
I agree
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Get it drilled.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Two 1" bulkheads at the level you want the water is what i would do.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

or 3/4", whatever is easier.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Oceanview in Pascagoula drilled mine for less than $10 with the bulkhead....and yes I would recommend two 1in since you do not want one to plug up......little safety will prevent a problem later....Good luck..
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

tbmoore wrote:Oceanview in Pascagoula drilled mine for less than $10 with the bulkhead....and yes I would recommend two 1in since you do not want one to plug up......little safety will prevent a problem later....Good luck..
That's funny. That's the maker of all my tanks. I never thought about just going there. Thanks for the info.
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

What's a good source for macro algea?
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

megelBeagle wrote:What's a good source for macro algea?
Either Shagman or me! :D Let me know when you need it.
Wind me up!