Best way to keep alk and calcium high?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Best way to keep alk and calcium high?

Post by Scott »

I have had problems in the past keeping alk more than 7 dKh. I raised it again three weeks ago and it was 12.9 dKh and 440 Ca. I drip kalk 24/7 and once a week add 30 mL each of ESV B-Ionic. I do have about 17 SPS frags along with a few LPS. I tested my water today and the alk was 6.4 dKh and calcium was 360. I will start raising it again tonight but I amgetting tired of running around in circles. I plan on dosing the ESV daily in addition to the kalk, but what methods does everyone else use to keep up the calcium and alk? Oh, BTW I can't afford a calcium reactor unless someone out there has one they want to sell REAL cheap.

Thanks,
Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

You already know this.... but...

For calcium I use pickling lime. I'm trying vineger as well, to keep the PH down and let more of the pickling lime dissolve... however I'm still testing that. Definitly Ms. Wages pickling lime though. I use two tablespoons in 14 quarts of RO/DI water, stir, let it dissolve/settle for 24 hours, and then pour everything but the white milky stuff in the bottom, into a doser for the tank, at 3-5 drips per second. I rotate 5 buckets w/ lids to make this stuff up and use it.

For alkilinity, I use baking soda. I add two tablespoons to the sump at a time, and test the next day.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well Scott you know my answer, reactor friend....reactor.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Belive me, if I could afford to do the reactor thing I would. I desperately want one, but there are other things I need.

I use the Ms. Wages now. I dose 3 heaping teaspoons in 5 gallons and let sit for a while. I used to use the vinegar but there was some debate of it's usefulness and safety. BTW, after i accidentally dripped about 3 gallons of kalk one afternoon, my xenia looked kind of like yours. I am thinking you are dosing too much, you do not have any corals that benifit from calcium do you?

Scott
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

We don't dose... You mean Josh?
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Yeah, I was intending the second paragraph to be directed at Josh. I just got in a hurry.

Scott
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

You know Scott, I have started dosing 14 quarts w/ 2 tablespoons of Ms. Wages almost nightly ever since the new lighting, but.... I dunno Scott... I have a definite prroblem, however I can't keep the Ca up, so I'm adding as much as the tank will eat up!
-Josh Murrah
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

What is you alk? If it isn't high enough 10-12 dKh, you will have problems. Alk doesn't usually drop quickly and mine does and I don't know why.

Scott
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

i drip one gallon a day everyday and i dose with Kent part 1, or when i run out use the seachem carbanate buffer and my alk is 11 and my cal is 430, so i guess im in the safe zone...i have very few softies, but quite a few sps and lps...your tank looks real good scott...i duno what the problem is. :?:
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I think the alk fluctuations are the real problem. My coraline algae is growing out of control though, will that make alk drop?

Scott