My new addition, too cool

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

My new addition, too cool

Post by snoopdog »

Got a Tiger Pistol Shrimp yesterday and a paired Goby. I have had them before but not as pretty and not a paired set. These guys found each other pretty quick yesterday and are at the front of the tank today. The relationship these two have are incredible. The shrimp is blind but a great tunneler and the goby watches the burrow and wards off preditors. I highly recommend getting a set. I have been watching them all morning and its just too cool, the shrimp is moving quite large rubble making a cave and tunneling. He can dove massive amounts of sand for his size and creating quite a burrow. If you are in the area come by and see them in action, a very nice addition to my tank. :P

P.S pictures to come when I get rid of these bubbles.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I got a pistol shrimp and watchman goby , but the goby never showed in the tank. I went searching (small 29 gallon) and he's not there. Not sure if got ate or i burried him or what.

Wondering If I should get another. Also they eat copepods right. What should I feed him as my tank gets seasoned enough?
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

They eat normal food.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I saw one of those combos the first time at Waterworld, and they are very cool to watch! The little shrimp was an excavator. Get some pictures!
Where are you getting all this cool new stuff??
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I have been working on Rich's computer this week and was watching him while working, had to have him. I pissed him off with the magnet today and he took off. Soon as I see him again I will get a pic.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

How much did the pistol shrimp cost? I bought a White Rayed Prawn Goby in december and have been looking for a pistol shrimp for him since January. Water World has them for $35 which i refuse to pay. I can get one from SWF.com for $9 or something like that and i'm waiting for a buddy to place an order with them. I do not want the Tiger pistol shrimp though. I asked a lfs to try to find a clown pistol(Alpheus soror) but they haven't been albe to locate one since january(I saw one picture on the net and it took me 2 or 3 weeks just to find the common name and genus species, so I figure most lfs will not carry them). I'll take any type of pistol other than the Tiger pistol.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I cannot even say what type it is or price, I will try to get a pic of him though if possible and post it tonight.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

We have two people that have this combo now. Just curious how much is the shrimp digging out. Do you have to worry about the stability of the rocks now that this fellow is excavating?
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Lets put it this way... our rock looks different and we didn't move it :roll: :shock: In a way it has been cool but in a way humm wonder when the )#*@# is going to hit the glass so to speak...
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yes it is a big big concern, our rocks are falling.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Crap.. Sorry to hear that.. That certainly answers that.
jerryf
Amoeba

Post by jerryf »

I have a tiger pistol and a yellow watchman. I was a little worried the first week. I've had them for 2 months and nothings fallen so far.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

No falling this week, but last week we noticed one rock on the ground and the whole aquascaping is moving.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Anyone want to come do my aquascaping? :) I had a fish only tank with two scrawny yellow-tail damsels. Due to impatience and wanting to break that tank down and I felt a little sorry for them, I finally succumbed and put them in my big tank. Ten minutes later, I spot my hawkfish swimming around with a yello tail hanging out of his mouth and a grin on his face. Hmm.. that won't do. I can't have a fish that will actually swallow damsels who everyone says are satan reborn. I spent 3 1/2 hours yesterday trying to catch that fish. I ended up breaking down the rockwork, and still didn't get him.
Anyways , I am back to trying to aquascape this morning, and it's not coming together for me.. sheesh, how the heck do you people make your rockwork look so nice. Mine looks like the fell off a quarry truck.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

What kind of hawk did that ?
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.