Blue Devils breeding

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

Blue Devils breeding

Post by Crustman »

I posted this also on reef central. Woke up and saw both fish hanging out upsidedown in this coral rock ledge. Fish were extremly aggresive the other day and attacked my finger when I moved this rock. They had plans! I only have these two damsels in my tank.
Crustman
Amoeba

Re: Blue Devils breeding

Post by Crustman »

Oops, my bad, these are Yellowtail damsels, Chrysiptera parasema. Good reef fish
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Very cool. Blue devils breed in much the same fashion and you can at least distinguish males from females more readily. Do you notice any distinguishing characteristics on this species to differentiate the sexes? I've never been able to tell, so I'm wondering if anything stands out in particular to you.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Thank Andrew, I went to the Foster and Smith site and it says that the male is larger and gurards the eggs after she lays them. My larger fish is also guarding. The female seemed to stay awhile in the little cave and the male would go in and out. They spawn upsidedown on the roof of the structure. They are both in the cave tonight. I will look again for eggs but have not seen these yet unless they are really small and white blending with the rock.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Got eggs. Too bad I am not set up to care for the larva.