nassarius obsaleta

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

DannieH42
Amoeba

nassarius obsaleta

Post by DannieH42 »

I recently ordered a clean up crew off of ebay. I recieved 50 nasserius vibrex, 50 nassarius obsaleta, and 50 hermits for $23.50 + shipping. I thought this was a great deal at the time. It now looks like the obsaletas are multiplying all over my tank. They leave these white spots surrounded by a clear jelly all over the tank. I am afraid that they are multiplying out of control. I do not know for sure that these "white spots" are baby snails but I am afraid that by the time I know for sure (there are at least 100 of the spots by now) they will have over run my tank. does anyone have any info on these snails? I know that this may sound like a stupid newbie question but does anyone know what baby snails look like? Please help a newbie. :shock:
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Egg sacks ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

This is a good thing. They will eventually level off based on how many your system can support. Now it could possibly support more then you want to see in the tank so that might be the only down side. All of my snails have stopped breeding almost a year ago. I might have to get a few off of you at some point.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

ditto if you ever decide to toss a chunk of them.
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

Same here....if you have more than you want I'll take some! Lord knows I need some.
-Kristyn
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

Who did you get them from on ebay?
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Fellow Fairhopeian would like to know also. Would be interested in some.
Karen
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

You nor anyone else actually wants Ilyanassa obsoleta. It is a temperate water species, so the spawning is probably a response to raised temp. They are not a good snail at all. They feed on the beneficial organisms that keep sand beds healthy (i.e. bristleworms, copepods, etc) and are generally said to carry a parasitic flatworm (about 50% of adult individuals) that is transferrable to humans. Nassarius vibex is somewhat questionable. They do not really eat detritus, but are good scavengers and eat any leftover food. So unless you feed your tank a lot, then they may not be the best option. The population will decline until food resources match. They *may* also eat beneficial organisms, but the jury is still out on them. If anything, they do move the sand around a bit and eat leftovers, I just wouldn't have that many of them.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

:shock: :?: :shock: thanks for the info :!:
Karen