Some vacation pics.

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Some vacation pics.

Post by Scott »

I just got back and had a great time. The first day in Vero Beach I toured the facility at Mari-tec. They are a aquaculture facility much like ORA but a lot more expanded. No corals though. They had a room filled with breeding pairs of ever type of clownfish, every type of dottyback, a few gobies, a mandarin pair, and some others. These fish were huge! All the clowns were 3-4 inches and the mandarin female was 4 inches easy. I saw their rotifer and algae farming areas and the atchout tanks. Next was the grow out tanks. They had tons of fish in there. In one tank there was approximately 1500 orchid dottybacks. In total there were probable 50 tanks. Each row of tanks had it's own Jacuzzi sandbed filter, a 6000 gal/hr pump and a 200 gallon tub of bio balls. They get 30,000 gallons of water shipped in to do the water changes. Here are a few shot's that I got
Attachments
Orchid Dottyback grow out tank
Orchid Dottyback grow out tank
DSCN0874.JPG (23.55 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
Row of grow out tanks
Row of grow out tanks
DSCN0875.JPG (26.74 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
Neon, Orchid and Springer Dottybacks
Neon, Orchid and Springer Dottybacks
DSCN0876.JPG (26.55 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

where are the pics?
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

nevermind...stupid computer
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

whereis vero beach?? i wanna go!!
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

You can tell just by looking at the pics they are salt water fish, you just cant get that color with freshwater fish. Did you happen to bring back anything Scott ?
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Wow, amazing Scott! I'm with Amy, did you bring anything back? Give me a ring sometime, I'm bored at work today. 4714546 x 2430
-Josh Murrah
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I'd like one of those tubs in my garage :D
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Vero Beach is just between Sabastian and Stuart. It is about 30 min from West Palm beach and 2 hours north of Miami. It is about 5 hours from Key West but that is just a long slow drive.

I brought back 2 orchid dottybacks, 2 neon dottybacks, 2 springer dottybacks, 2 true percs, 2 saddleback clowns, one maroon clown, and different gobies. It sounds like a lot but they are small. I added most to my 55 gallon but it was less than 12 inches of fish. All the dottybacks are getting along now but they all came from the same grow out tank. One of the really cool things that I saw down there was feeding time in the 8000 gallon cobia tank that had about 25 hungry 40 lb cobia fighting over the squid.

Scott
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Sounds like an awesome place to see! Was their main filtration jacuzzi sand filters?
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

that looks awsome, i wish it were closer
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

They only had one skimmer for one of the rows of grw out tanks. They had jacuzzi sandbed filters that were about 100 gallons and the bio balls on each row and on one other row they had a 2 micron filtration system that would filter out any parasitic larvae. They do massive water changes twice a week though using sea water transported there via tankers. in the same faciltiy they had same 8000 gallon tanks that contained pompano, tripletail, lookdown, and cobia. These are sold to public aquariums. One of their employees worked at ORA and is trying to start a coral division and they have had some luck with Maxima clams but not enough yet to justify mass producing them.

Scott
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

dood, that sounds awsome