Wanted to say hi

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Buzz
Amoeba

Wanted to say hi

Post by Buzz »

Just started in the hobby a couple of weeks ago. Been reading and dreaming for awhile. On last Friday, I picked up the following:

125 gallon tank with 2 mega-flow overflows.
Model 4 Sump
Mag 12 Pump
Black Stand and Canopy
3 bags regular sand (LFS)
1 bag Live Sand
130 Gallons RO water

I'll try to attach pics.

I knew what I wanted as far as the tank goes. I figured I had a little time to purchase lighting while the tank cycles. Chris at FatFish suggested I get the PH and Temp correct in the tank before I add LiveRock. I am going to save up and buy the best lighting I can find. I plan to have a reef/fish tank so I want to buy the best equipment available. I guess the things I've read the most is to take your time and to buy the best equipment you can afford.

I split the pump just out of the water and ran one to each side of the tank. The left side has a little less flow since its further away, so I'll probably end up adding a powerhead on that side of the tank.

I was wondering if there are any clubs in the Daphne, AL area? I know Chris and Michelle at FatFish have to be tired of me stopping by and just staring at the tanks. He offered to build a bench for me to sit and watch the other day.

Sorry for such a long post.....I've been reading for weeks and finally decided to post and got carried away.

See Ya,
Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

congrats on the tank and welcome to the forum.
If you're planning on doing a reef then you are going to want a lot more water flow than just a mag 12 on a 125. Look into the Tunze Streams or Seio's. You didn't mention a skimmer, what kind did you get or planning to get?
Buzz
Amoeba

New tank

Post by Buzz »

I haven't bought the skimmer yet. I know its $125 (at least the one they reccomend.) I'm open for suggestions. Do I need the skimmer while the tank cycles?

I do know that I'm getting the 72" AquaPro light. Should fit the tank perfectly.

As far as powerheads, I've looked at the Seio's and Tunze's. I did read that the Seio's were about half the cost of Tunzes but they don't last as long. I'm trying not to skimp on anything. I want to but the best instead of replacing cheap stuff in a few months.

I'm wide open for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
Buzz
Amoeba

Post by Buzz »

Here are a couple of pics.

Lets see if I can make this work.

Buzz
Attachments
Sump.jpg
Sump.jpg (129.71 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
Fish Tank with liverocknew.jpg
Fish Tank with liverocknew.jpg (124.1 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

I would get the skimmer while it is cycling. As far as the type of skimmer I would look in to the Deltec or H&S. If you don't want to spend that much you can go with the Aqua C EV series or ASM or for that price you posted you can get a super skimmer. Always go with a skimmer that is rated for larger than your tank capacity.
The advantage of Tunze is that they are the best you can get and they are fully controllable. But you definitely pay for them. Seio's work great you just can't put them on a wave timer so when they are on they are on. If you go with the Seio’s I suggest you use mag floats to mount them in the tank.
BTW the pics look good the stand and canopy are very nice.
carlab
Amoeba

Post by carlab »

Hey Buzz, great looking setup! Where did you purchase it? That's the size I want to buy soon for my livingroom. Currently have a 75G reef in another room. You will save alot of money in the long run by not skimping and buying cheap parts for your setup! Do yourself a big favor and buy a really good skimmer from the start. I started out with an AquaC EV120 and hated it! It required constant attention to keep it skimming. I now have a Deltec and absolutely love it (AP600). They are expensive but well worth it. Be sure and research the different brands before buying!
Carla
Buzz
Amoeba

Post by Buzz »

Carla,

I purchased the tank over at FatFish in Daphne. Chris and Michelle have been great to work with. He is almost forcing me to go slow. Tank first....water next after everything was plumbed. Live rock only after the ph and temp were right. Absolutly nothing alive in the tank until after the cycle has completed. I normally don't mention company names because I know this is a local forum and some folks here probably work for their competition but I've had a great experience so far. I guess I'll pick up the skimmer this week. Probably gonna get them to order a couple Tunze powerheads pretty soon. They already have my light in stock. I can't wait to get this thing going! Gotta get some paint and one of those small rollers and get the back of the tank painted. Looks kinda funny seing the wall through the glass.

Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Looks great to me, nice aquascaping.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Reef Farmer
Amoeba

Post by Reef Farmer »

Hi Buzz,

Good looking tank!!! My first day on the forum, looking forward to lots of good advise. (Tony's wife from the field)
Buzz
Amoeba

Post by Buzz »

Now that I have liverock in the tank....I was told to put a piece of dead shrimp in the tank to help the cycle. Anyone have comments? I guess this will decay and create bacteria.

(Rene, You should have seen Tony flying that chopper yesterday.)

Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
Buzz
Amoeba

Post by Buzz »

So I guess I'm gonna reply to my own reply. Here is this big chunk of shrimp sitting on the sand in front of the liverock. My daughter screams..."There's a worm in the fish tank!" I'm thinking she just sees something hanging off the shrimp. Nope...Its some kinda worm coming out of the rock eating the damn shrimp. Should the worm be allowed to live or die?

Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
Bkndsdl
Amoeba

Post by Bkndsdl »

Let it live! Let it live!

The shrimp cycling method worked for me. It does exactly what you're thinking, decays and allows bacteria to feed on it. When you have enough bacteria in the tank (when you test and see no more nitrite or ammonia), you need to add an inhabitant, such as a fish, so they can pollute the tank a little more. The bacteria will then reproduce to that level, so & sf.

Yes, you do need a skimmer. Not so much right now, but when you start adding livestock you will.

I disagree about the Mag 12 not being enough for that tank; the way I run my setups, I prefer to have lower flow through my sump, allowing the skimmer to have more contact time w/the water; I let my p'heads handle the flow in the tank. Just my theory; I have a Mag 5 on a 70g w/100 in the system, and it works great........
-Mike
http://bkndsdl1.home.mchsi.com/
Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?
There is NO SUCH THING as a hot water heater.
Buzz
Amoeba

Post by Buzz »

At this rate I'm gonna be going tomorrow for someore shrimp. I guess I sounded the dinner bell. So far...two more. They are munching on that shrimp.

Thats pretty sad. I'm excited about a worm in my fish tank. I guess its something alive.

I'll try to get a pic.

Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
Buzz
Amoeba

Post by Buzz »

Pic of worm.
Attachments
worm.jpg
worm.jpg (98.61 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

Just your everyday bristle worm they do you nothing but good. let him live.