Onyx clown ?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

reefer21
Amoeba

Onyx clown ?

Post by reefer21 »

Juust wondering if this is a Onyx clown or not that I got today? Now this fish is very young, only about 1-1/4" to 2" long.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

There is a great deal of argument as to what constitutes a "true" onyx. Personally, I don't believe there is such a thing. It originally was a variant found near the Solomons, having quite a bit of black markings, usually with a black dorsal and sometimes adipose fin (in addition to the rest of the black markings on the rest of the body). I say there isn't such a thing as it is quite subjective, having no real credence, especially since many coming out of the area as "onyx" never matched these descriptions exactly. The TR variants can, based on what happened before, be just as righfully called onyx as well, due to enhanced black markings. I would say, based on any original description, that yours is probably borderline "onyx." If you ask on reef central, it will spark a debate 15089759387498573 pages long, though.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

LMAO!!! :lol: :lol:

Good one.....very good. :P
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

BTW, that's a good looking clown, whatever you want to call it. :)
reefer21
Amoeba

Post by reefer21 »

I asked on NR and about 2 other people said it was an onyx, so I’m going to call it an onyx perc. I'm not going to base it totally on just other people saying it was an onyx, I also looked and several pictures on the net and the marking are very close to that of an onyx perc. Really??? You think it might cause such a debate, humm I think I'm going to do it for spite, just to see if it causes a long debate.
sb1227 wrote:BTW, that's a good looking clown, whatever you want to call it. :)
Thanks, I like the markings on this clown very much...
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

We had two true perc's that eventually after several years.... 4 or 5 their markings changed to look a great deal like those of the fish pictured. We ended up selling them because they turned into devil fish and bit to draw blood. ....

http://www.mbrk.com/modules.php?set_alb ... _photo.php
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I don't know if it will cause one now, but there was a long one in the clownfish forum that got pretty heated. If you paid for their premium membership :roll: you could probably find it easily. IMHO, if it looks like an onyx to the owner, then hell, its an onyx :wink: and a very nice one at that.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium