Storing Fiji Rock

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Storing Fiji Rock

Post by KrazyPlace »

As you guys know... I'm breaking down some of my tanks today. I want to keep the rock because I will be building a new setup in about 1 year.

How would you guys store live rock? I don't need to keep it alive, but I don't want it to go "bad" on me either. Is it as simple as setting it out in the sun to dry or do I need to treat it with bleach or something?

And how would you store sand? Just rinse real good and put it in bags? Does it have to dry first?
Wind me up!
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

We dried out all of the rock in my 29 to remove the macro algea off of it, let it sit in the sun for about 2 weeks and the turned around and put it back in my 29, haven't had a problem with it. You do have to re-seed it with live rock later to replace the natural flora but we didn't have a problem with it after it had been dried out, just clean it well after it has dried to get off any dead things (pods, sponges and such)

We also store sand, we put it in a large swimming pool chemical bucket (chlorine tablet bucket rinsed and cleansed well) with a lid.

After rinsing it by turning on the outside hose on low put it at the bottom of the sand in the bucket and circulated the water thru out the sand multiple time, then just leaving the water to run clear. We drilled a small hole in the bottom of the bucket and let all the water drain out after it was done simply cover the hole with a piece of duct tape. That sand has been used in multiple tanks since then of various persons in the club and never had any complaints.
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

This may be a GREAT time to "COOK" your live rock
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.