Actually Blue

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

Actually Blue

Post by sb1227 »

I have always called my blue corals blue (A. Secale, Encrusting Monti, blue stag frag), and have been informed by a couple of people that they are not "blue" they are purple. Hardheaded as I am :D I kept saying "yeah, but they're labeled as blue" ............

Well, I've had to eat a little crow...hard as it is...... :roll: Ok, they're purple.

I got this guy a month or so ago and it's turning BLUE. Can anyone dispute my right to say the branches on this coral are actually blue? It's looking like the branches will be completely blue with army green polyps.
Attachments
Acroblu.jpeg
Acroblu.jpeg
acro05.jpeg.jpg (49.78 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

nice coral... and yeah, it looks blue from where I am sitting.....

I gotta take a picture if this blue stag frag That just started turning it's blue color :P The guy I got it from said it is the bluest coral he has ever grown....... Which means it will turn orange or green in my tank :)
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I guess you never really know what color they'll end up in your own tank when you get them. I just go for the shape now. :D I haven't had the stag frag for long, how long did it take for yours to start coloring up?
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

A lot of it is lighting. I got a frag from wtrhed a while back. I can't remember what color it was when I got it but under 250w 6500k Iwasaki's it turned a bably blue. When I changed over to 250w 20kk XM's it turned more green. I liked the blue better and I didn't notice any good color changes with the XM's so I changed back to the 6500k's so I could at least get some growth.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

sb1227 wrote:I guess you never really know what color they'll end up in your own tank when you get them. I just go for the shape now. :D I haven't had the stag frag for long, how long did it take for yours to start coloring up?
True, it took mine a long time...months actually.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Scott wrote:A lot of it is lighting. I got a frag from wtrhed a while back. I can't remember what color it was when I got it but under 250w 6500k Iwasaki's it turned a bably blue. When I changed over to 250w 20kk XM's it turned more green. I liked the blue better and I didn't notice any good color changes with the XM's so I changed back to the 6500k's so I could at least get some growth.
Definately lights make a huge difference.... I can tell a difference with the same lights having two frags of the same coral just 8 inches higher or lower in the tank..... amazing. I think that is what really got me over to the sps side.... is the huge variables in growth and color from tank to tank...... :P
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

It looks blue, but it is hard to tell. Put a frag in my tank and and I will let you know in a few weeks. :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Andy: There's an idea! :lol: :lol:

I agree with the lighting thing, this guy was under 20K XM bulbs and was a very deep green. I use 13K megachromes and have noticed much more color (especially in the blue spectrum) when corals come from the 20K tanks. But I do have to wonder what my cool green Montiporas would look like under the 20K's....

But I don't wonder enough to give 'em away :twisted: :lol:
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

sb1227 wrote: But I do have to wonder what my cool green Montiporas would look like under the 20K's....

But I don't wonder enough to give 'em away :twisted: :lol:
They would still be green. Brown monti's would turn purple but they do that under intense 10kk's. Some light loving monti's like M. danae might change but you will sacrifice some growth.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

This is a stag frag I got.. it is turning blue now
Attachments
true blue stag small.jpg
true blue stag small.jpg (44.62 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

That one has really nice color! What kind of lights do you have? I've never really liked the color of 20K bulbs, just a little blue for my tastes. I get much better color/growth balance even using the megachromes. When I first got my fixture, they mistakenly sent one 10K bulb and one 13K. I noticed growth was better under the 10K but really liked the crisp white of the 13.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

sb1227 wrote:That one has really nice color! What kind of lights do you have? I've never really liked the color of 20K bulbs, just a little blue for my tastes. I get much better color/growth balance even using the megachromes. When I first got my fixture, they mistakenly sent one 10K bulb and one 13K. I noticed growth was better under the 10K but really liked the crisp white of the 13.
i use 10k 250's with 4 6' uri vho actinic 03's