Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse vs. Cleaner Shrimp

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Taddster
Amoeba

Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse vs. Cleaner Shrimp

Post by Taddster »

My tangs are have black spot. In the past, I always used hawaiian cleaner wrasses to pick my parasites. Sadly, once the parasites were eliminated the wrasses often starved and died. So, I am considering cleaner shrimp.

What do you all suggest? There really isnt a medicine on the fish market for black spot.
Peter Tad A.S. DePaola
B.S, B.F.A, B.A, M.S, Ph.D.
Specialized in Marine Cephalopods
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

cleaner shrimp... there is no point purchasing something that will die after its food sorce is gone.
Taddster
Amoeba

Cleaner Shrimp

Post by Taddster »

I have never used cleaner shrimp before. This is why I asked the hawaiin wrasse is extremely effective. They just dont take on to commercial foods once the parasites are gone.
Peter Tad A.S. DePaola
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

try a neon goby also.. Mine has been trying to get on the tang but the tang is having nothing to do with it. Before Ivan my old purple tang would swim up to the neon goby and open its mouth. The goby would go to work. I use to have a cleaner shrimp that would try to pick at my arm every time it was in the tank. I haven't had one for years though.
Taddster
Amoeba

Cleaner Shrimp

Post by Taddster »

Sounds great....

I will place my order for a half dozen or so.
Peter Tad A.S. DePaola
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I'm not sure how well they do in groups( neon gobies that is) but I know they act like a cleaner... I'm not sure how effective they are I just know mine use to set up a cleaning station and my purple tang would pull up and let the goby go at it.
Taddster
Amoeba

Cleaner Shrimp

Post by Taddster »

I will buy the shrimp instead of the wrasse
:D
Peter Tad A.S. DePaola
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Fishfood wrote:I'm not sure how well they do in groups( neon gobies that is) but I know they act like a cleaner... I'm not sure how effective they are I just know mine use to set up a cleaning station and my purple tang would pull up and let the goby go at it.
At one time I had 3 in my tank. They all ate flake and Cyclop-eeze. I never saw them clean but I didn't have any problems like ick at the time. They were very small and something happened to them. It could have been a number of things but they were eating.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

We tried the neon gobies once, all 3 bailed over night. We also have cleaner shrimp, and would not be without them, we have only once had a problem with black spot on an orange shoulder that they did not manage, I think there was other things wrong with her. But all other fish are clear and kept clear by the shrimp. It is also cool to watch.
Now of course there are some that would insist on a UVS and that is cool if you want to invest in it too. I just prefer the natural way if possable. That might come back to bite me one day. :?
Karen
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

thats odd about your gobys. My first one was skittish but finally settled down in a hole in the rocks and would shoot out when the tang cam by. My new one went right for my red moonstone and parked it right there. Kind of a nice contrast. I'm going to get more when I see them in the store.. Might get shrimp too but with my interest on a blue jaw trigger don't know if i want to waste my money.
Michelle
Amoeba

Post by Michelle »

I've seen cleaner wrasses take to certain commercial foods. I stock them quite often & they eat when the other fish do. They also like fresh seafood from time to time. I used to catch a cleaner wrasse I had in with a copperband butterfly picking away at their shrimp etc.