i think i might have killed everything but i dont know why

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

You will have to do far more than just change 15 gallons to alleviate any sort of rapid die off. For something that serious, changing AT LEAST 50% is the only effective means of neutralizing something. If you are using BRITA, have you checked the carbon cartridge? You could have just chlorinated your tank. The recommended change time is substantially more, because it is drinking water and thus Cl- is less of a problem. Fresh carbon will take that out, assuming that was the problem. A sudden, rapid case as this suggests toxicity of some sort. Do what is recommended and then try a few hearty fish or inexpensive inverts to see if everything does well. Also, know what is in your water and if in doubt, dechlorinate first.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
titansgurl
Amoeba

Post by titansgurl »

I'm sorry, but a Brita? I didn't think those would filter the water well enough to use in the tank? After all, it's just a carbon filter right? I remember one time Drew tested the water out of my PUR filter (just for fun, with his new tester) and it had more stuff in it than water straight out of the tap. And it certainly doesn't Deionize the water, does it? Maybe I'm wrong. I'm totally not an expert though.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

You are entirely correct, titansgurl. Brita is simply a carbon filter designed to remove some contaminants and completely remove chlorine. That is why when it becomes exhausted, it doesn't filter these compounds and metals from solution. An even older one has enough stuff packed into it to start being freed from solution, especially in the presence of chlorine. This is what I believe may have happened. These filters are not a reliable way get topoff water, anyway. It is unecessary, especially when you can get 5 stage RO/DI for around $100 nowadays.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
titansgurl
Amoeba

Post by titansgurl »

Yippee! Score one for me! I'm not usually right, so I cherish it when I am... :)
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

A couple of questions...
1. Do you have any kids that are big enough to have possibly thrown something into your tank that could affect it...
2. have you added any fish to your tank lately and added any of the water from the bag that the fish was it... sometimes the fish have been treated with copper and i have seen just that little amount really damage a tank.
3. Also has your salinity been stable i know that my hydrometer has been off for awhile an i have to calibrate it from time to time to keep it current...

Back to question 1.. if you have any kids could htey have thrown anything like a penny into the tank... could cause copper probems... but the most likely is the copper contaminated water with a purchased fish... hope some of this might have helped.

on the R.O. unit... there was a guy who posted one for sale on the buy trade sell forum for a good price... if its sold then check with progressive marine in mobile he has some and you can get a auto shut off and it will take care of the buying water roblem and will also keep your salinity from fluxating...