EVERYTHING IS DEAD

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

dave3112
Amoeba

Post by dave3112 »

Amanda you could test the next day for nitrates. Do you have many "dead spots" in the tank with little water movement? if so this could cause nitrates to build up. Get a couple of cleaner clams too. they work wonderful in my opinion. I got mine while I still lived in P'cola from the lagoonal area at shell island. Or you could purchase them on-line.

Dave
Amanda
Amoeba

nitrates

Post by Amanda »

no not many dead spots at all it seems like most of the water is being circulated i did a water change about 30 % because the nitrates were really high today they were pretty close to 0 ppm thanks guys :wink:
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Re: nitrates

Post by KrazyPlace »

Amanda wrote:...I did a water change about 30 % because the nitrates were really high today they were pretty close to 0 ppm thanks guys...
You may have a test kit problem. Nitrates don't dissapear quickly either. You only did a 30% water change which would at most cut the nitrate level by 30%.

If you were at 80 ppm then the water change would have brought it down to 55 ppm. I don't think any tank can remove 55 ppm of nitrates in a week.

Get another test kit or borrow one to check it. Something is definately not right here.
Wind me up!