Base rock thoughts

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Base rock thoughts

Post by snoopdog »

In the new house I want to put my 20 gallon up at the end of the stairs so you see it when you round the corner. I am going to use a DSB and base rock. I am not going live rock because of the amount of mantis shrimp I have found in my live rock in the past 3 years or so. I am not going to say how many I have found :(

Anyway I am going to put in base rock and join the rock together with plastic rods (unseen) to form one solid mass. This will prevent rock falling over for good and what grows on the rock will only be things I introduce into the tank. I think this will be a nice enjoyable change. So what has everyone seen in base rock, I want small pieces that are very porous.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

You can check out http://www.hirocks.com/ or there is one in tampa also. Or you can just give new LR a high saline bath. That should help flush everthing out and keep all the bacteria and other stuff alive.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

YOu can get base rock from Rich for $2/lb (at least it was). Put in a tub with salinity 1.030-1.031. That will cause any crabs, worms critters to come out of their holes.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

get some lace rock, its pretty neat stuff
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

What and where do you get lace rock ? Scott if Rich has base rock for $2 a pound, isnt base rock dry, why would it have crabs in dead rock ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Its in his live rock vat, it just doesn't have any coraline growing on it. I purchased some abouttwo years ago. I am not sure if he still sells it like that.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Ahhh ok.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
stanton
Amoeba

base rock

Post by stanton »

Rich does still sell it that way, which I think is a plus, because you already have a headstart on bacteria in the rock.JMO
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yeah only troubles here is that the rock might have Mantis in it, which is exactly why i do not want to do live rock. B&B used to sell base for $2 a pound and I only need 15lbs I may go there and look.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

Kevin,

If you go the Hirocks route, I know they sell the same box of 30# on ebay for $10 less as a BIN option. If you look into that and want to go that way, I'll split the box with you.
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
bertz_maru
Amoeba

Post by bertz_maru »

how much is that 30# on ebay.. ill split with you har!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yeah its not a bad deal, but i think it comes from California, i am all for splitting though.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Like I think scott said.,... I have always wanted to see a tank made from lace rock. You buy it dry.... wash it good. Soak it in salt water... It is light weight...porous, stacks great and has cool shapes.

You might be able to find some at the local garden shops.... I got some for the african tank a few years ago from the place on cottage hill rd. near schillinger I think.

you might even find some from local african cichlid keepers.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

What does it look like ? I have heard alot about lace rock, the more porous the better i will like it.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

I looked at thier eBay auctions, and they took off the BIN option. So with the shipping on the 30# box, so even if you win a bid on it for like $15 it's only 2.00 cheaper after shipping then just buying it straight from thier site.

Kev, If you find some of this lace rock and like it, let me know where it is and maybe I can go the same route.

I have a couple landscaping places around me that I can go by and see what they have.

Salt,

Is lace rock white? so I know what I'm looking for.
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"