New here...

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

plkdb
Amoeba

New here...

Post by plkdb »

Hi all, I just discovered your site, and wanted to say hello, as well as find out a little more about your group? I live on Eglin AFB, and currently have two tanks, a 55 which will be freshwater someday, and a 5 1/2 nano I`m building. So far all I have with the nano is the tank, and the lights just came in yesterday. I`m going to be moving in May, to England, but I wanted something set up before then just to enjoy even for a few months. Drives me crazy I cant set up the 55. I just feel it would be too much work on that one to set it up and turn around and tear it back down. How much do you guys usually sell your frags for? And how often do you guys meet? What all do you guys do at the meetings?
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Glad to meet you!!! We are just a little group that is steadily growing into a big group of people, who get together once a month and talk about reef keeping. We usually eat and socialize and talk shop. Glad you found us, hope you stick around, always like new insight.
plkdb
Amoeba

Post by plkdb »

Thanks. I like your 75 gallon. Its actually a really similar design for the wood that I am currently building for it. I`ve got crown moulding for the base thats about 3/4", and 4" moulding for the top. Its coming out pretty nice so far. I`ll post some pics once I get it stained.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

WELCOME! You can still hang with us online even after you move. You will likely be back to Alabama anyway. I don;t know if anyone who has successfully made it out of here for life :D

We are having a meeting today actually. Like amy said we usually meet and talk reef stuff....and, well all kinds of other stuff too.

Yeah it would suck to set up the 55 gallon cause it would just get to looking sweet and you would have to tear it down.

Frags sell from as low as "FREE" :D to as high as "Oh My God, is that the last one left in the free world!" :? Everyone has been pretty good to me andreally just tried to make a few pennies back .... makes you feel good to see a few buckeroos for your efforts..... much better is the barter system. Only in the beginning you are at a dissadvantage. I figure it will take you about one trip around to everyones house to fill your nano to the brim :D
Last edited by SaltnLime on Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
plkdb
Amoeba

Post by plkdb »

So is the group just everyone who signs on to the website, or do you guys have a membership? I`m going to have to agree with you on coming back to this area. Everyone in my career field that leaves always comes back to AFSOC at Hurlburt Field. Having fun in the meantime though. Putting a order in next week for all the other equipment I`ll be needing, so hopefully I can get it up and running soon.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

We actually built the web-site around the "club"... was an addition after the second meeting. We don't really have a so called membership- like you don't have to fill out papers and get sworn in, it is a come as you are and hope you have fun kind of thing. We usually plan one meeting as the current one is ending or just after. We have it at someone house usually alternate, think we had the first meeting in like Febuary of this year and it has grown from a hand full to a "hand" full....

Hope you get to visit and make it to a meeting we really enjoy ourselves.....
plkdb
Amoeba

Post by plkdb »

Unfortunately I didnt find this site until yesterday but wasnt able to make it out, but I would like to try and come to the next one if thats ok. How many people usually show up for the meetings?
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

OH Usually at least 2....

Anywhere from 8 to 20 or more, usually a good solid 15 or so....last night there was about 19 or so counting the junior members, and I am sure I am missing someone- but we have had more than that several times. At least 4 of our regulars weren't able to make it last night due to non-reef related life :shock: imagine that.....
plkdb
Amoeba

Post by plkdb »

Heres the tank. I still need to put some polyurethane on it, but I think it came out ok so far. The lights is a Coralife 9w x 2 (one 10,000k and one actinic bulb), and the other thing is a $3 night light LED from walmart that I plan to use as a moonlight. Trying to do as much hands on stuff as possible with this, and trying to keep the price reasonable. So far my total investment is:

Wood, stain, and saw $25
Tank: freebie, usually $10
LED Night Light $3
Coralife Lights $ 36

Only bad part is I cant go hogwild with frags and life because I`m only going to get to enjoy it for about 5 months, plus this is my first venture into saltwater, so I`m sure I`m going to stumble some. Going to order my heater, filter, powerhead, salt, test kit, etc. next week.
Attachments
nano_0003.jpg
nano_0003.jpg (48.61 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
nano_0005.jpg
nano_0005.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

To join send me a money order for $500 and I will send you a membership card. :lol: Welcome to the board. (just kidding on the money order...ck will do)
plkdb
Amoeba

Post by plkdb »

A check?? Why didnt you say so? I thought you wanted money! :wink:
evermann
Amoeba

Post by evermann »

lol...g1
How much for de women? *twack*
Ahh, your kung-fu is strong...
trick0330
Amoeba

Post by trick0330 »

well it looks like you are on the right track so far and the wood is very nice!!!! :wink:
plkdb
Amoeba

Post by plkdb »

Thanks. I know I`m going to make some mistakes, so I`m trying to take my time as much as possible. Are aquariums really as stress and blood pressure relieveing as they say they are? The last time I had a aquarium up and running was about 12 years ago. Right now I need it, dealing with my Ford dealer. If anyone can top my experience so far, I`d love to hear about it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/sho ... adid=90339
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Nissans service is not much better.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate