Since you asked....

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

HCJohn
Amoeba

Since you asked....

Post by HCJohn »

Here is what I planning.

I want to add some more rock soon, but havent really liked what I seen at the stores for the price they want. Am not in a hurry so I will just keep watching.

I purchased 2 55watt PC lights...1 Actintic and 1 Daylight. I also have an 18inch NO Powerglo bulb that Im using now and will probably use with the PCs.

Ive got 2 tomatoe clowns in the tank at the time. I bought the rock/sand/water from Coral Connection so cycling should be minimal and my 2 kids really wanted to see some fish so these should do for a few weeks.

I have intentions on putting in some corals. As Im just learning the reef thing Im not sure what will be optimal with the lighting I will have. I really dont want to go with more light so that will dictate what I can and cant have and not what I want.

I do plan on putting in a long tentacle anemone and a few more fish as well. Not sure on those yet but nothing drastic and just your normal fare...Flame Angel, Royal Gramma...something of that nature.

Any help on what types of corals I can keep with this setup will be very much appreciated. Also any info on where I can get some good deals on some of the more hardy corals would help as well. I want to take it slow and have no intentions on doing the hard corals at this time.

Thanks in advance.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
35lbs Fiji rock (taken by Katrina)
50lbs Live Sand (taken by Katrina)
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Mostly it depends on lighting. I am not sure of the dimensions of a 26 but I think PC's is a good choice for a smaller tank but VHO's are generally used more (from what I see). Fulham makes a VHO ballast called a Workhorse that is reasonably priced and the WH7 will run up to 220 watts of either VHO's or PC's. If you are planning on getting an anenome try and pack as many bulbs as you can. They usually need more light and most of the one's at the pet stores around here are bleached, so they need the extra light.

~Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

I guess I should have been more clear. The lights I purchased included the ballast and such as well. I also guess I need to get the dimensions on my tank. I know its 24inchs across the top but Im lost after that. :)

Thanks for the info about the anemones though. While I had one before and had lots of luck, that was info I didnt realise about the local shops.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Once your tank is cycled you could probably come to Mobile and pick up eough softy frags to start you off pretty good. I don't have many soft corals but I always have Red Sea Xenia, Xenia elongata and brown Kenya trees (mine keeps dropping branches). Look around and decide what corals you want to keep and go from there. I actually have a couple of SPS that do well in lower light (I run 330w of VHO and a 400 watt MH on a 55 gallon so just about anything is lower light by comparison).

~Scott
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Thanks for the offer Scott. I very much appreciate it.

While everything in my tank came from an established setup Im going to watch it for spikes and such so it will be a few weeks I suppose. I was told a week but lean towards the safer side.

Thanks again.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

A week is probably a little on the short side but you never know. I would get some Xenia after your nitrite is on the down hill side of the spike. If it dies it is a learning experience, but readily available. It grows like a weed in most tanks and I have been known to throw it out in the yard to keep it from growing onto adjacent rocks.
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Sounds like a plan.

Im hearing more and more about this Xenia weed. Sounds like my kind of coral. :D That and Green Star Polyps. I guess I will start with this and maybe some shrooms...seems like a fairly failsafe plan. Then move on from there.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Yeah, Xenia, GSP and zoanthids are the easiest to keep for most people. The only problems with them ar that they tend to get out of hand. If there is a lfs in your area that will trade for store credit you could stock and upgrade with the credits.
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Ive read in various places that the Montipora Digitata is an SPS that I might be able to use in a setup such as mine. Any experience?

Some other corals I might be interested in are brain and leathers. Any suggestions/recommendations?

I know more light would be better but the 110watts of pc and the one 18inch NO are going to have to do for a bit. I might be able to add another PC in the near future but suggestions with this combo are what Im needing. Sucks having limitations. :)

And finally, as far as a clean up crew goes. Any suggestions here? I looked at some stuff at reeftopia but their smallest kit seems to be extreme overkill for a 26gl tank. Then again I could be wrong. Although that would be only the 2nd time that happened and Im still not sure about the first one. :D

Thanks in advance.

Opps, one more thing. I believe I might have some gorgonians growing on my live rock. Im no expert but I believe they are of the red variety. Is this something that needs a bunch of light and something Im probably going to lose? I would take pics but my digital is shot.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

You can definitley build your own critter package at reef topia. But, yeah after getting to know how to stabilize your tank's parameters, I don't see why you can not try some montipora sps corals. They are fairly hardy compared to the other sps corals. Good Lcuk and enjoy your tank's progress as it ages.

John
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Monti's are ok in lower light and most will retain some of their color. I would stay away from purples they will turn brown. Oranges seem to be pretty tolerant of lower light. They are pretty hardy too.
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Heres another question. Once Im sure my tank has finished its cycle...what are some recommendations on fish. If some fish are really good for reefs then by all means bring those up. Im also wondering about the amount I can keep as well. Before the tank is complete I look to have about 40lbs of rock and 50lbs of sand for my filtration if that helps any.

I remember the old inch of fish per gallon of water rule but just as I was sure that was wrong then Im sure its wrong now. Thanks again in advance.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

What kind of skimmer are you using?

I am not the person to ask about fish, but I do know that that rule is for newly established tanks (less than a year old) and you should add fish one or two at a time. I am not sure that the second one is set in stone, I added 10 small fish to my 55 gallon that had some of the more delicate corals and had no problem.

Scott
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Now that you mention the skimmer, I guess its time to ask this one. :)

At this time Im not running one. Ive heard various theories on skimmers...with such a small tank some say that just a 10% water change each week is the best way to keep the essentials in and remove the bad. Some say skimmer, skimmer, more skimmer. Im sure as with so many things in this hobby there is no one way of doing things. So for the next few weeks I will be without one. I see myself picking up a Aqua C though soon. Still debating and gathering info to make sure I do it the best way possible.

Any thoughts?
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

If you are looking for a skimmer I think Liz and Kevin both have skimmers for sale that you might be interested in. One is a CPR backpak and the other a Remora Pro, if I am not mistaken. Check with them, or maybe they will chime in.