Finding Nemo, CBS and Tetra - AARGH!!!

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Melissakins
Bristleworm

Finding Nemo, CBS and Tetra - AARGH!!!

Post by Melissakins »

Sorry, had to do this, Brandon saw this and shared it with me. I am appalled. CBS on their early morning show hosted a talk by a representative from Tetra-Fish.com who spoke about how "easy it is" to set up an aquarium and how "idiot proof" it was to set one up, that it takes "some work, but not a lot of work" to keep an aquarium. I've included the .WMV for anyone who wants to view it and then some articles on other websites about the Responsibility we as hobbyists have and some articles by Tetra-Fish themselves...ARGH!!!!

http://www.dash4cash-racing.com/files/tetra.wmv

People are so stupid! No mention of acclimating, checking PH levels, ammonia, nitrates, etc...

Tap Water??? WTF???? and taking the starfish OUT of the water because you can "actually touch this one" "It moved!" Duh lady! it's ALIVE!

This is a Repsonbile article that I give two thumbs up for on the Doctors Foster and Smith webby:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/gene ... agesid=198

This is a lame assed article ('scuse me for the swearing)
http://www.tetra-fish.com/newsroom/fishThemeMovie.html

This is from Reef Central and is an interesting read:

http://reefcentral.com/FindingNemo/

Sorry if this is too much for people to wade through...
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

The whole thing makes me ill. I went to B & B today at lunch. I am sure that everyone has seen the "We found Nemo" sign posted out front. Of course the had an extraordinary numbery of hippo tangs in stock...DUH!

Anyway, I pretty much blasted Jonathan for doing something as irresponsible as putting a true perc in a 3 gallon eclipse with pink artificial plants and a condylactis anemone. I explained that this movie is the perfect venue for actually educating people as to the beauty of the reefs and the need to conserve them and learnabout them. If the customer still wants to try it, then they could set them up correctly.

Of course, he tried to tell me that is exactly what he is doing .....RIGHT!

Okay, I am done!

Elizabeth
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

It makes me want to gag!

Reef Central had some angry people too. Looks like a lot of them who post wrote letters to CBS, Tetra and other TV stations.

Were you able to watch the .wmv?

And a 3 gallon or a 5 gallon for a Hippo???? Uhm, they get kinda big...LOL

The tap water thing got me well, okay, the WHOLE thing made me mad! :twisted:
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

:roll: I love you guys! :roll:

I really hate that they do the things they do... but in retrospect they are business people, doesn't make it right but they do have to make a profit. Although- when I think about all of the free livestock they get (baby hamsters, gerbils, mice) I wonder why they can't be responsible in spite of themselves.

Do I sound like I am talking out of both sides of my mouth?
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

sounds like a topic for the next meeting and how we can become involved....