Help me choose a tang

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brian
Amoeba

Help me choose a tang

Post by Brian »

Hey guys. I am wanting to add another fish to my tank but not sure of which tang I want. I will give you the list of the ones I am choosing between and if you know any pros or cons to the different tangs listed please tell me. Please remember I am ony wanting to add one of the tangs from the list not all of them. I do not know anyone with these fish to ask about them so I am relying on you guys. Thanks.

Clown tang
Sailfin tang
Achilles tang
Whitecheek tang
Eyestripe tang
Sohal tang
Vlamingi tang
Powder Brown tang
Unicorn tang
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

depends on what size tank you have... If you have a big tank..75g+ then get a powder brown(or blue). My personal favorite is the sailfin.
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Tank is a 210 and my current livestock is

2 Blue Regal Tangs (1 med 1 lrg)
2 True Percula clowns
1 Engineer goby
1 Sand sifting goby
1 Coral beauty
1 orange damsel
1 six-line wrasse
1 Kole Eye Tang
1 Mandarin Goby
Brandon
Chromis

Re: Help me choose a tang

Post by Brandon »

Don't know this from personal experience, but everything I have read has said the Clown & Achilles have dismal survival rates, the clown is also a mean som'biach. I think you have a better chance for compatibility if they have differing body shapes, maybe one of the zebrasoma species, like the purple, kole, sailfin, yellow, etc..

My personal preference is of course the Sohal, but good luck finding a healthy non-psychotic one :)
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

I like the sohal too, if my tank wasn't so small, I would look into one...
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Sailfin has my vote.
Karen
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

How can you resist?!?!
Attachments
the beauty that is a Sailfin
the beauty that is a Sailfin
sailfin.jpg (43.67 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

The Red Sea Sailfin is probably the the nicest looking fish in my tank. My Sailfing became very agressive and tried to destroy every fish I put in later. I purchased a white cheek (I think also known as a gold rim) that was only 1/2 the size of the sailfin but was the 1st fish I ever seen back the sailfin down. The white cheek also has very nice colors. It is not near as timid as the powder brown (which looks fairly close). The white cheek (or mine anyway) does not hassle any other fish in the tank. I tried a clown (did not make it...i think the sailfin had something to do with it). The powder brown (as mentioned) does not fair well with hostile tank members as well as the powder blue.
I also have a Vlamingi tang. These have great personalities but grow very fast. I think they get almost 2 foot long. The unicorn tang is also very large.
I would like to try the Chevron tang but as for now, I have no experience with it.
My vote would have to go to the white cheek with a Red Sea sailfin in a close second. Whitecheek at about 8 inches or a Red Sea at 16 inches.
1 fish not mentioned is the Naso. Wheater it is a Blonde or not, the Naso is a nice looking fish with a good temper. Does get a little large (16 inches I think).

Good Luck,
Jeremy
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Yeah I was thinking about a Blonde Naso. I really appreciate the input you guys have given. I will take the comments made and make a choice. Thanks.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Well now that you threw in the blonde naso, I change my vote. As you saw in our system, they are gentle giants.
Karen
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Yeah I seen the one in your tank and it was really nice looking. BTW, my baby blue regal thought the brain was his food or something when I got it home. I had to put more food in the tank and move the brain around like 3 times to finally get his mind off of eating it and since then he has not touched it and it has been ok. The clam opened 5 minutes after it hit the water. The mushrooms are also looking nice.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Awesome I am so glad when they respond positive so fast. Sing of healthy corals and health tank they are introduced to.
How was the B-day party? Your mom was so excited to get you there. :D
Karen
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Everything was great. I can't complein. I got those corals as a gift so I think I come out pretty good. :D