Powder Blues

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

wtrhed
Copepod

Powder Blues

Post by wtrhed »

I Have started planning my fish list and am thinking of adding two powder blues. Has anyone one had any sucess keeping these fish. I have wanted a couple for awhile but all my research says that they are not a good choice. What's the longest anyone has kept one, are they that aggresive, what other types of fish have you housed with them?
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Very pretty fish......not sure how big your tank is but tangs need losts of room.....I have also found these weak when it comes to ich....also hard to find a healthy one....many are cought with poison and look good but already dead before you get him...just waiting for the shoe to drop....I would also add the tangs at the same time so nobody fights over who owns what....If I was going to get one I would purchase from RM.....I have yet to get a sick fish from them.....I think it is because fewer people have handled them......also their fish even though cost little more seem to be larger and do include free shipping and you will get free frag for every hundred dollars.....(think today last day on that but if you talk to chris he might help you there....) good luck ...very pretty fish....
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

Thanks, I already knew all of that. The best thing you told me was that you have ordered fish from RM. That is what I was really wanting to do anyways but I wasn't sure about mail ordering fish. I have done alot of research on the fish I will be getting, and RM seems to have the best QT policy online. I was hoping someone would chime in and tell me what you did.I am just real if'y about ordering fish online, maybe that will change. How many fish have you purchased from him? Did you get what you expected (size, color, health,etc)?The one thing I don't like about ordering fish, is that you don't know thier personality. That is one of the main factors I look at before buying.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

be careful cause powder blues are mean and they might kill each other cause they are the same species
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

I have heard they were mean but I would like to know if they are manageable. I have had several "mean" fish before and I came to the conclusion that they do settle down in time. I once had a large saddle back clown that bullied everybody, so I deciced to give him some competition. After I introduced a large yellow and another large regal tang, it was on! After about a week everyone knew their rank. There was the occasional chase, but I think the clowned learned that he was not the baddest after all and I think that helped calm him down. I plan on getting juve's so that they can be kept in check by the other adult species I plan on housing. Has anyone on here ever had one?????????
Da happy octopus
Amoeba

Post by Da happy octopus »

Ihad one in my reef tank before the fire destroyed it and it and my yellow tang got along fine. I never had any problems with it. When i get my new tank set up i plan on getting another one :) they tend to have great personalities :)
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

I had one for about 1.5 years. It was an Ich magnet, but he kept on eating and fighting. The Ich came and go, maybe due to the life cycle of the parasite. He was not that aggressive. But I also had a large sohal which is the king of the tank.
Dys
Amoeba

powder blue tangs

Post by Dys »

Not a hardy tang to keep in a tank...

LARGE tank will be needed to house 2 of them, probably 150G+
Keep them well fed, they are very very hardy eaters and without being well fed constanly will easily eat other items in your tank and or die or both.
Make sure they are the last of the fish you put into the tank, they may have a field day with any newly added fish.

Good luck.
I'll respect you in the morning, but I won't wake up till noon.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Definitely Ich magnets, be careful, hope you have a VERY stable and happy system for one to go in!
-Josh Murrah
tanker stanker
Amoeba

Post by tanker stanker »

"Powder Blues" sounds like the name of a song a Coke head would sing when he runs out of dope and money! :lol:
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

I had a beautiful PBT for about 2 1/2 years. His name ws Sir. He was very aggressive not only to tangs but to every new fish we bought. I can't tell you how many fish he killed....but, I loved him. He was the first "swimming puppy"!

Tons of personality!

Elizabeth