New reef shop in Foley

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

A lot of this depends on where we are in the hobby....When setting up a tank we tend to buy more and sometimes pay less attentention to what we need trying to get the tank to look right......most of us have made this mistake....this is a hobby that takes time ..... the tank must grow .....mature.....I am not bullet proof ....I still get burnt sometimes....I have been sold or traded undersized and over priced...I even got a sea apple one time....(part of this is that our tank needs changes....everything has a place...).. As our tanks mature and fill up we get more picky and forget how we were when we were sitting it up....Also Greed from some LFS does sit in....sometimes it is just an honest mistake....by discussion on this board it raises our awareness and keeps us on our toes....tells us what to look for...We need to continue to share our views and what happens when we shop...then take it with a grain of salt and be cautious.....If we add a little luck our tanks will grow with as little loss as possible....Lets say a YES>>>YES... for Eye Candy...
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

im going to take back all i said about the new store and sticking up for this store, i dont care anymore, people get screwed everyday, and i wish they werent, but if i had a say so in this store and things were running the way i want, then yes, it'd be different, but i feel im just "hired help" and dont really get a say so on anything, so... thats why i might be looking for a new job soon. or start my own buisness, and do it right. sorry if i snapped yesterday, i had a crappy day and i shouldnt have gotten offensive on how they store was back then, i had no part in it.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

I have been pondering the idea of my own shop/website ALOT lately. There is a HUGE demand here on the island. Plus I know most of the high rollers that build condos here. I don't think it would be hard at all to talk them in to setting up large tanks in the common areas. Not to mentoin the service accounts I could get. Then come home and answer a few emails and sell corals over the net. It would be NICE. Take Rich for example, he has it sooo made!
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

ive worked at 3 fish stores and its pretty tough, the demand here isnt that high, everyone in the f-hope, daphne area are penny pinchers.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

...the demand here isnt that high, everyone in the f-hope, daphne area are penny pinchers.
Just for the record... so are the people in Mobile! At least I'm speaking for myself. :roll:
Wind me up!
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Yeah me too, I have to say that I'm not a high-roller, I'm always looking for that "better deal".
-Josh Murrah
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

:( Now that really hurts Mike. We have dished out many hundreds of dollars to your store alone in just 2 months.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

not towards ya'll, but others, whats funny, is that some people will come in the store and be like, ah man that price is high for that fish, then they'll go to p'cola and see the same fish and wind up buying it there, but spent 5-10 dollars more for it. i dunno, its likem, fish stores in cali, miss, texas, lou, and florida do extremely well, but it like skips over alabama, i dunno, but they make thousands a day and were lucky to make over 300 bux a day. and the same at waggy tail.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Ok, Mike, now you know how the first Mike felt, and even he wasn't the only one who's left. It's got to be hard to really care and want to do things right, and have little or no control over how they're done. I certainly couldn't do it. I'm often amazed at the people who come in there, what they expect, and the attitude they put out. I've also heard some very wrong information given to people in order to sell something. I understand a store has to make money, which is why I could never deal with working in a store that sells animals.....I have always been on the animal's side and way to picky! :D

Now, I've been going to Amazons basically since they started that store. ALL of the people have always been more than happy to help me find something I might be looking for, stock something I ask them to and basically I consider them all friends. I'll admit to you and to them that some of their prices are high, some are just ridiculous, and some are reasonable...I'm not a penny-pincher, but I don't have unlimited funds and work my ass off for what I do have, and have to go with the best price I can afford. I do try to support local places as much as possible, and expect them to understand why I cant pay double or triple the price on the more expensive stuff. I think they have gotten alot better with the small saltwater, and freshwater plant tanks since Mike has been there, I was really pleased with them and I can tell you just by looking what Mike has done in there. He has some really good ideas that really would help the place.

I guess I'm just saying everyone needs to be an educated shopper. Listen to employees, but don't ever take just their word unless you know them. Too often they have no idea, just feel like they should give an answer. After awhile you know who to go to with questions. I guess I'm trying to say there are good and bad things about almost all of the stores I've been to.

Sorry guys, guess it's my turn to vent.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Sue, I have seen everything that you wrote at many different stores. I think that they are mostly alike.

The one thing that I look for is honesty. I have never purchased many things from B&B but Elizabeth called one day and told me they got an interesting Montipora cap in their shipment. She said that one of the employees had quoted her $39 (I can't really remember but I am pretty sure that this is very close). I took an early lunch and when I got there they still had it and I would have bought it but when I asked it was suddenly $69.99 (I remember this very well). So I walked out pissed and didn't go back for a very long time. I will always remember that even though the employee might not work there anymore. It is a reflection of the way the store operates. Mike does have a hard job changing some peoples opinions of Amazon's River. I think that if he can do it, keep the prices reasonable and does the things that he told us (upgrades in the store) about that store would rock!
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I cannot stand dishonesty in Vendors, especially when they burn you on things. I have been alot happier with Rich at Progressive lately. He has been alot more honest to me about things when talking to him lately. I just feel he has made some improvements lately to the way he talks to the customers and what he stocks. I only wish he would have had the dry goods stocked back when i was buying stuff, the dry goods are priced good enough to justify buying them from him instead of the internet. His livestock is alot more complete lately and he is keeping liverock in stock and looks alot better than B&B's liverock. Hell he even has a Gigas clam in stock.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

Rich cut me some really good deals on dry goods and livestock the last few time I've stopped by. His prices where comparable to online prices. I would rather buy stuff locally that I can actually look at first hand. The most favorite part of this hobby is going to all the LFS looking for stuff to get for my tank. Sure I can get most things cheaper online , and I do order a good bit, but it's not as fun as going to the stores.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

By far, Rich is the BEST person to deal with that I have ever met! He is a super cool guy and doesn't mind shooting the bull. In case people don't notice, his livestock is comparable to any of the top online vendors. He always gets some SMOKIN acros and has always had amazing zoas. His prices are killer also. Where else could you go and buy any acro in the store for under $200?. Most are like $40-$90 and he will come down. I have passed on super killer deals at his place only to find the same coral online for triple his price. My only problem is that it is hard to find him sometimes. One thing that sticks out in my mind is that HUGE electric maxima he had about two years ago and he only wanted like $200 for it. That thing was like 10" long!!! I drooled over it every time I went, finally got the money, and he sold it the day before. Mucho props for Progressive!!!!
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about Wet Pets??? I called about a week ago, and they said they still weren't open.Now I can't get them on the phone.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I've heard mid Sept.

Billy
Karen