New reef shop in Foley

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I will agree that the livestock this week at Amazon is needing help. But my opinion is, Mike has a big part in the information and great frag sales that have kept our tank growing and going strong! Sorry wtrhed, he does us right, just look at the pics, they dont lie! :)
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Great shots ....Keep them coming.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

Jahdeil, Nice looking tank. You can not argue that fact they do have heavy losses on their livestock at any time. If they help you out then thats great, just make sure you double check the prices. When I first started about three years ago they BURNED me on SEVERAL overpriced corals. It was my fault for not double checking. I just don't agree with the way they operate.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

<deleted>
Last edited by reeferpuffer on Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I will say my company sucks on this forum, and i hope they fire me for saying it.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

reeferpuffer wrote: the fact is, if you got "burned" its your own fault, you didnt get forced to buy the coral.
That may be true but sometimes corals are misrepresented and it is not the buyers fault. I am not saying that is the case here but it is not always the buyers fault.
reeferpuffer wrote: please, dont come on here slandering the store because i dont go slandering where you work.
Is this not a forum to share experiences? Have you ever said anything less than good about a vendor? I am not taking sides but if we can't share our experiences here so that we know to go where we like to be treated and who has the best prices or best corals that takes away from this forum.

I can say that I never go to Amazon's River. I don't need any fish and their coral display was pitiful. I have not been there in the last year so things might have changes or they may be changing soon. Once I hear that they have something that I am interested in I will try again. Mike, if you can let us know how the store is changing and keep us updated maybe that would generate some business that the previous Amazon's River might have driven away.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Snoop you kill me.

Joe
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

Reeferpuffer, I believe I said It was my fault for not comparing prices. I was a newby looking for help and when A guy at a shop(that actually has reef products) tells you something, you kinda seem to take their advice. It is my fault, but I know I was taken advantage of. On another note, Amazons is only a few minutes away from my house. So it would be very easy for me to shop with them on a weekly basis. Instead I have to drive to Pensacola or Mobile to get fair treatment. Seems like a waste. With as many accounts as they have and vetrans/newcomers doing buisness with them, they should have a better rep. If you are a new employee then this is no concern of yours, although I do hope you can help their current situation. As I said, I don't frequent the place, but I was in there last Fri and saw no improvement. I actually asked you if their were new corals coming in soon and you said " later on today" I asked what's coming in, you replied "just some soft corals and a few other things". The place has HUGE potential, but does not seem to take advantage of it. I am sorry if I offended anyone with this post but I am speaking the truth. If Reeferpuffer has recently started working there, then I'm sure he could be the first one to tell us how the place was when he first started. I'm sure it will verify EVERYTHING that was said in my previous post.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I have to agree, because you work there you cannot be partial to it when it comes to people's opinions. Have your opinion of you prior employer changed since you left ?

I mean if Scott had something negative to say about my company after his laptop repairs or the 6 machines i worked on in the bay area of Bay Chevrolet it would not bother me at all ! In fact i hope he does call the corporate office and complain.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

One more thing. I have owned and operated a fairly good size retail buisness for several years (Off-Road shop) that did almost $250,000 quarterly net. If you tell the first newby that " You really need this" and then overcharge him, sooner or later he WILL find out that he has been ripped off. You should try to inform people and build a client base instead of making a quick buck. Amazons orders from the same wholesalers as any other LFS, so the quote if it costs us more we charge more is understandable. Yes that is buisness but I Know what the prices are for these wholesalers and they aren't THAT inflated.Unless there is a Rare or hard to get species then I would understand. Thats not the case.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I would fail at running a business probably. I am too honest and really care about the customer, no doubt that would probably cause my business to die. I think i am better suited to sells.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY I SOLD IT!!! If your always nice and try to help evryone out i.e.: sure pay me later, yeah I'll take a check, sure I'll come by and help you out, of course I'll have the meeting at my house, and the famous "I forgot my wallet". You will always get burned. It is amazing how much some people take advantage of every little thing they can.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I also have another quality, good or bad, you cross me and i hold a grudge for a longer time than most people. I have some going on 15 years now and still get mad thinking about the people. I still remember everyone that owes me money, pissed me off or said something out of place. I also have a soft place for people that borrow stuff for extending periods of time, or better yet that borrow stuff constantly so they do not have to buy the item. People that borrow tools, power tools, movies, etc and bring them back in a different condition than when they were borrowed. If you cannot tell, some people get on my nerves pretty damn bad. I like to think of myself as an ok guy that goes out of my way to help people and pretty generous (correct me if i am wrong) so i would like people to treat me the same way. Ok i am ranting...i will quit now.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

snoopdog wrote:I mean if Scott had something negative to say about my company after his laptop repairs or the 6 machines i worked on in the bay area of Bay Chevrolet it would not bother me at all ! In fact i hope he does call the corporate office and complain.
Unfortunately, I can't complain because the price was right and the service was the best.

In my sector of the business world we strive to maintain customers, not just get one in and gouge them for as much as we can. If I find a lfs that is willing to do whatever it takes to get my business and then continues to provide good service and reasonable prices they will get my business. I can not and will not over pay or be swindled. I am the sole provider for a family and that is my first responsibilty, not an aquarium or anything in it.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Scott wrote: I am the sole provider for a family and that is my first responsibilty, not an aquarium or anything in it.
While i am not the sole provider for my family, or any now, i totally agree. I have blown more money than i care to mention by being "had" or not shopping smart. We will not even go into how much i spent on previous tanks that were not needed. Amy can honestly say i watch our pennies more than i have in the past. Honestly the less i buy for our tanks and the less i screw with them the better i do. The last time i bought something for my tanks i got Aptasia and Flatworms, so there you go i need to quit buying anything to put in them.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.