Rio Polario

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Neuticle
Copepod

Rio Polario

Post by Neuticle »

I've been looking at "wavemakers" for my tank for a while, and I know I want a DC unit. I had kinda settled in with the fact that I needed something that was going to cost $$$ to give me the flow I need to keep my tank cleaner...

I just found an ebay seller offering 15ML (ML = mega-liter) Polarios for $99, I know they get some bad reviews for being somewhat noisy, but for that money it's worth a try. It's an awesome concept, I just hope it can do what I want it to do. If anybody else want's to try the Polario experiment, the guy should still have 5 more, just do a search for "polario" and pick the one that costs 1/3 of what it should.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Neuticle
Copepod

Re: Rio Polario

Post by Neuticle »

Well I got it, they sent me a 22ML (almost 6000 gph) instead of the 15ML. It's huge, it makes a little noise and it pumps a ton of water, well worth $100. It's nearly the size of a 40 oz beer and it needs to be mounted in the center of the back pane to work efficiently, so the jury is still out on the aesthetics. I had to rearrange my whole tank to keep my corals from getting torn up with the pump on the lowest setting. I'd say it's definitely not a wavemaker but it's the same flow as two Tunze 6205's on a controller, the controller is more basic, and the flow direction is pretty much set for you, but it costs $1200 less. I haven't noticed any difference in temp yet, we'll see when summer rolls around.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

Almost a week with the Polario, fish have gotten used to the extra noise and extra flow. I've gotten used to the controller noise (a fan whine). I'm considering cracking open the case to see if I can replace the pots for a quicker switch time, but I haven't decided if it's worth it yet.

I turn it off at night to give the fish a break, in the morning, when I turn it on, it's a snowstorm of debris. It's kinda hard to believe I've made it so far with that much crap settling out every day.

The ebay seller still has two at $99, so if you need big water movement, this is your chance.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Nice that you got it. Take some pics please.