New Build Log: Project Octo

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Phisher
Hermit Crab

New Build Log: Project Octo

Post by Phisher »

I just set the wheels in motion for a Bimac octopus set up coming in the near future. I have really been jones-ing for something different for my next set up and am really pumped up about this.

I just ordered the main display from glasscages.com. All acrylic 36x18x17 with snug-fit acrylic tops. It is custom euro braced (not normal on their tanks this small) with a black back panel pre-drilled with 2 1" bulkheads.

Stand and canopy will be custom built by me, but are still in design phases. I will probably use a 20 long for my sump with a separate "live well" type fuge for keeping live food.

I will post updates as they become available.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

New tank from glasscages came in last week. It only took about 10 days.

I started getting my saws square yesterday and began some construction today. Here is my high tech blueprint.

Getting started.

Squared up.

My co pilot.

Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Here is the basic shape.

Just too hot to do much more. I hope to get my vertical bracing done one evening this week. I am not planning on using a center brace and I'm worried I may get some sag in the middle which would not fare well with acrylic. I'll post more when there is more progress.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I applaud your motivation. :lol: It's fun to see people do projects like this. Do keep up with the progress pics.

I definately envy your garage. Here, it's work outside in the sun or in the house. One of these days....... :D

Nice mower, btw.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Sue I am embarrassed to post pictures of my garage, it stays so cluttered.

The heat is a big demotivating factor right now, I found myself singing the Kazakstan (sp) National Anthem from the Borat movie in my head and knew it was time to call it a day.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Todays progress:

I plan to add a bit more cross bracing for stability and some uprights to hinge my doors on but its basically framed now. I'm getting real anxious to start the finishing work.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

So the Bimac is a cold water animal, correct? Are you going to use a chiller on this tank? I always thought it would be interesting to do a cold water tank.....
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yeah, both species are coldwater (off of California)--O. bimaculatus and O. bimaculoides. Which species are you getting? They do look pretty similar.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

My understanding is its pretty much a craps shoot as to what you get. There does not seem to be a "good" source for them now that octopets is gone.

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/octopus- ... pods-.html

Marine depot advertises a O. bimaculatus. I've heard good things about there general live stock so I might try them. I think coral connection in Kenner gets them from time to time so I might look there as well.

It will be mid November before I will be ready to order anything so keep your eyes open for a good online (or local) source for me.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

No I don't see a chiller being necessary. I am not planning to run lights and very limited equipment (skimmer and return pump). I have a tank running in the room where this display will go curing some sand and rock right now. In the heat of the day the tank runs around 73 degrees so I think it should be ok.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

That should be ok, but do not let it get any higher. Really, that is the absolute maximum temperature I would allow for any prolonged period of time (even then, it shouldn't be prolonged). The mid sixties are ideal, though.
Andrew

Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I've read 65-72 was "ideal."

I would like to maintain at the lower end but refuse to add a chiller. I really don't need another an appliance adding heat to a room that already has to pcs and a south facing 6x12 window.

If you can recommend a tropical species that would not outgrow this tank let me know.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I still think it should be fine at that temp (if that is only in the heat of the day). You may be able to push it lower with fans and evaporation. Just make sure it isn't terribly prolonged. I can't recommend any tropical ones, because most of the smaller species aren't readily available at all, with still others being completely unsafe in home aquaria--4 species come to mind, there :lol: . I don't blame you for not wanting to add a chiller--I wouldn't want to, either.
Andrew

Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I also figure in all likelihood, if I purchase a wild caught specimen in November he will probably be close to the end of his days by the heat of next summer anyway.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Really haven't updated this in a while. I finally got a wild hair and finished the stand. I didn't document most of the build but here are some finished out come shots. I'm not planning to add doors at this point so everything underneath is very clean and tidy.

Here is the plumbing from the back, everything visible is painted black to match the stand.

You can't tell but the stand is also wired for 120v gfi outlets, all in black to match.

Here is a shot of the front, the flash washed it out but its all ebony stained.
[/img]Image

Last shot is of the "false bottom" put in in case I ever want to add controller or eballast for lights. This area is also wired with power.

I'm in the process of letting sand settle and getting the skimmer going now. I'll post some wet shots in a few days.[/img]