Filters

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

SixLDfalcon
Amoeba

Filters

Post by SixLDfalcon »

I'm just brain storming for when I setup my new tank this spring sometime and I was wondering what you guys thought about what the best type of filter was. I was thinking canister but I dont know which brands to trust.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

Most people don't use canister filters anymore on reef tanks. If you were going to buy my parents tank it comes with a wet-dry and you wouldn't need much more then that other then the LR and a skimmer, and sand if you go that route. Forget the canister filter.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Canister filter on a reef tank sounds like a nightmare.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

snoopdog wrote:Canister filter on a reef tank sounds like a nightmare.
Believe it or not, I have one on our 26 BF, I also have a hang one refugium. The canaster gets cleaned once a month and by then it is in NEED of it. But it also is the perfect place for me to put my carbon and phosphate remover. I personally like having mineon with the other and the tank seems to enjoy the added cleansing. Of course I would not say it is a must, but does help.
Karen
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Jahdiel wrote:
snoopdog wrote:Canister filter on a reef tank sounds like a nightmare.
Believe it or not, I have one on our 26 BF, I also have a hang one refugium. The canaster gets cleaned once a month and by then it is in NEED of it. But it also is the perfect place for me to put my carbon and phosphate remover. I personally like having mineon with the other and the tank seems to enjoy the added cleansing. Of course I would not say it is a must, but does help.
But Zach wanted to upgrade to the 100 gal range. I wouldn't rely on a canister as the only filtration on a tank like that. Not worth the money when you really need to look at a skimmer.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

TOTALLY agree. I was just saying that in some cases, such as ours w/small reef tank, I felt it was aceptable. I would NEVER rely on one for a large load.
Karen
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

if you can find a good deal on one, they were worth having on hand...

if only for running an extended amount of carbon to remove any issue with water
lwready
Amoeba

Fluval 404

Post by lwready »

I use a Fluval 404 to "polish" my water. I run it most but not all of the time in addition to my sump, etc.

As others have said, you can put a lot of carbon in or you can put different pore size filter media, etc. in to get a "clearer" water.

Cleaning about once per month is pretty easy.
Larry

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you. Gandalf