spiney box puffer ???

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Amanda
Amoeba

spiney box puffer ???

Post by Amanda »

hi all its been a while since i have posted but i need some help i have got 2 spiney box puffers about a foot long and big but the problem is i cant seem to get them to eat they have only been in my 100 gallon for a day so maybe they are still getting used to the tank....i am turning the tank into a fish only and i got a good deal on these 2 big puffers thanks for any help !!! i have had puffers in the past but not any this big all of my little ones ate shrimp but these dont seem to care or they arent hungry ? they are the big frozen shrimp should i try live shrimp ??
Attachments
puffers 011.jpg
puffers 011.jpg (79.69 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

How are they acting? Were they shipped to you? The one on the left looks like there is something wrong with it's nose, is the skin pealing off? What about water parameters?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reefer21
Amoeba

Post by reefer21 »

You might want to wait another day or so and then try to entice them to eat by throwing in some live food. Also you said that these are spiney box puffers, well in that case try to feed them at night since they are nocturnal animals. Some foods you might want to consider are: shrimp, clams, squid, enriched krill, preparations designed for herbivores.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I have never heard them called a spiny box puffer before. I have always known them as a reticulated burrfish, which are separate from the puffers. Are you sure they are nocturnal? I have always seen them very active during the day. Do try some live food in the next few days, but they are most likely acclimating to the tank. Most puffers "sulk" for a few days before perking up again. If the behavior continues, you may have a problem.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

ive had many of these before..and they did the same thing.... take a skewer, or a long piece of ridgid tubing and take a piece of shrimp and stick on the end of the skewer, then put it right up to there nose, they will try to swim off...but keep doing it. they'll get pissed off emough that they will bite it, and keep doing this for about a week or two, i promise they will eat after that. ive done it many many many times and never had it fail on me
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Ahh, yes. I did some extra research and found they are indeed nocturnal in the wild (the big eyes were a dead give away-dumb on my part). Though, from what I have seen and read, this habit is often bypassed in the aquarium and they will take food whenever offered.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
reefer21
Amoeba

Post by reefer21 »

Amanda
Amoeba

spiney box puffer ???

Post by Amanda »

thanks for the info they did finally start eating shrimp i fed them with the lights off with a skewer....lol i have heard them called spiney box puffers, striped burfish, and boxfish...they are pretty neat thanks again