My newest addition

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

My newest addition

Post by Fishfood »

Well I got another Blue Jaw trigger. Some may call me crazy for putting it in my reef tank but I'll take my chances.
Attachments
trigger1.jpg
trigger1.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
trigger2.jpg
trigger2.jpg (60.2 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

thats a beauty!! Where did you get it from?
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Aquaworks had 3 in last week(still might have 2 left)... I just made an extremely large purchase the past two weeks and said I wasn't going to get anything, knowing that the last fish in my collection was a blue jaw. I walk in and tim had a rather large extremely healthy one in. I was just like damn. Then he tells me he had two smaller ones in the back and one looked even better then the one out front. He went back and brought both of them back and I decided to take the better looking one. I mean his yellows were just amazing. He was nice and fat and was eating.

About the only agression from this fish is when my orange spot rabbit fish get a hold of the larger pieces of shrimp that i feed them. The trigger will take it right out of its mouth. Other then that he is a big puss. From all i read on them they are one of a few triggers that will pose little to no threat to a reef tank. sure I might lose some hermits and snails now and then but i'll take the trade off. I reallly love the looks of these guys.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Dude I wanted one so bad, but I found out how big they get...

Joe
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

10 inches isn't too bad. My rabbit fish could get up to 15... thats the one that scares me.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I was told 16 inchs for the trigger but 10 would be bad enough.

Joe
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

from what i found on line I found most places say about 8-10 inches. Plus they don't typically have the personality of say a clown trigger, or most other triggers for that matter. I've been looking into one of these guys since about december and found a handful of people on RC who have one and asked about their experience with them. I'm happy with him but now I have a dead Kole tang. I could not see anything visibly wrong with him. Since day one the trigger never even went near it. How poisonous are the rabbit fish spines? With how much that stupid tang freaked out at the glass there is a possibily he got stuck by the rabbit fish because the rabbit would follow him around quite often. Maybe he finally just had a heart attack from freaking out when he saw his reflection every night?

here is some info about the blue-jaw trigger from 3 different web sites:

1.)Locally common along deeper reefs and ledges
Feeds upon zooplankton high in the water column
A wary species that attains 8 inches
Females are gray overall and males have blue cheeks and yellow-margined fins

-----

2.)Size : Grows to about 20 cm in length.

Description: The torpedo shaped body is greyish-brown in colour, overlayed by small scales with light blue points giving a diamond patterned effect. A small white spot is prominent just before and below each eye. The cheeks are emphasised by a patch, mid-blue in colour, which extends towards the pectoral fins. The second dorsal, anal and caudal fins are transluscent, and are edged with a bright yellow fringe.

Diet : Feeds on zooplankton, particularly copepods, and crustacea, echiniderms and molluscs.

Comments : A peaceful and inquisitive fish which settles well in the home aquarium.

----

3.)Blue Jaw Trigger (Male)
Blue Jaw Trigger, Xanthichthys auromarginatus, is commonly found in Indian and Pacific Oceans. It is sometimes referred to as Bluechin and Gilded Triggerfish . A member of the family Balistidae, it was named by Bennett in 1832. Males have a solid blue marking on the throat. Triggerfish are very hardy, therefore they are great for those new to the hobby. Triggers of the genus Xanthichthys are not as commonly found in the aquarium hobby as some of their relatives. They are desired for being less aggressive than other Triggers. For this reason, this fish may be a better choice in aquariums where space is limited or with tankmates that are less aggressive. If you have a large enough aquarium a small group of these fish may be kept, but keep in mind that they are capable of growing to be 9 inches. For groups, add 3 to 5 juveniles at the same time for best results. Blue Throat Triggers are carnivores and would do best on a diet consisting mainly of meaty foods and carnivore preparations. An occasional offering of marine algae would be beneficial to this fish.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

That is a cool looking fish.