20 Gallon Long Amazon Biotope

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Kresnahw22
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: 20 Gallon Long Amazon Biotope

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Buddy08 wrote:i have 2 canister filters for sale krenshaw if you want, theyre super quiet and kept my cichlid tank crystal clear. One is a rena x1 and the other is the x2 with spray bar or jets. let me know if youre interested and ill get you a price for both
thank you for the offer but the aqueon 55 I got running keeps it crystal clear, which i actually don't want, I'm trying to get a blackwater effect I've been adding oak leaves and sphagnum moss to lower ph and tannins to give it almost a tea color effect. But like I said thank you for the offer though.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

I know in college we ran an experiment and we needed to "tan" the water. We actually ordered tannin in a bottle. I have no idea where we got it from, but I'm sure an internet search would get you what you need. Would sure speed the process.

HTH and tank is looking great.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

bluwtr wrote:I know in college we ran an experiment and we needed to "tan" the water. We actually ordered tannin in a bottle. I have no idea where we got it from, but I'm sure an internet search would get you what you need. Would sure speed the process.

HTH and tank is looking great.
I know of a product which is called blackwater extract. Its basically liquidized peat, they say it can be harmful to livestock plus its expensive for the amount I need for my 55 when oak leaves are free and does the same thing. Plus oak and Sphagnum add it slowly allowing fish to adjust where the blackwater drops it fast. It did help and thank you for staying that. I also gotta post new pics the plants are sending new growth.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

As in drop I mean the Ph.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Sure, no problem. I will say however, that the experiment we ran was on prey capture ability of largemouth bass in turbid water--fancy name for "can bass still eat in crappy water"! We were trying to determine if a bass can hunt prey as effectively in water clouded by construction or clear cutting induced runoff as in natural water. The tank was approximately 200 gallons and we added the tannin in one dose, then added the fish. The fish could have cared less to be honest. Like I said though, that was in '96 so I have no damn idea which product we used or how much it cost. Hell, I'm surprised I remember that much!!!
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

bluwtr wrote:Sure, no problem. I will say however, that the experiment we ran was on prey capture ability of largemouth bass in turbid water--fancy name for "can bass still eat in crappy water"! We were trying to determine if a bass can hunt prey as effectively in water clouded by construction or clear cutting induced runoff as in natural water. The tank was approximately 200 gallons and we added the tannin in one dose, then added the fish. The fish could have cared less to be honest. Like I said though, that was in '96 so I have no damn idea which product we used or how much it cost. Hell, I'm surprised I remember that much!!!
Lol that's a hilarious story. Lol Sphagnum / oak leaves has best results for me.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I had wanted to imitate blackwater habitats in some of the planted systems I had before, but was unable to. They all had CO2 supplementation (compressed, not yeast-powered) and the tannic acids would completely skew pH results, which throws off the measured CO2 concentration. I always ran carbon in my planted systems for a variety of reasons, too, so that would've also defeated the purpose.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Amphiprion wrote:I had wanted to imitate blackwater habitats in some of the planted systems I had before, but was unable to. They all had CO2 supplementation (compressed, not yeast-powered) and the tannic acids would completely skew pH results, which throws off the measured CO2 concentration. I always ran carbon in my planted systems for a variety of reasons, too, so that would've also defeated the purpose.
I just stooped using activated carbon and I'm gonna see if it helps out. The Species of fish I Have already enjoy low 6.4-6.8 Ph
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

If all else fails, try a bit more CO2 supplementation. Most fish can handle a good amount of it and the plants will certainly appreciate it. Out of the tap, my pH is about 6.8 and closer to 7.0 when aerated. It is extremely soft, though, so it makes it very easy to tip pH in either direction. Not sure if yours gives you the same problem, but just be cautious about it.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Amphiprion wrote:If all else fails, try a bit more CO2 supplementation. Most fish can handle a good amount of it and the plants will certainly appreciate it. Out of the tap, my pH is about 6.8 and closer to 7.0 when aerated. It is extremely soft, though, so it makes it very easy to tip pH in either direction. Not sure if yours gives you the same problem, but just be cautious about it.
I actually gotta start doing that again lol. My water sounds close to yours also.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Ok the oak leaves and Sphagnum moss has tannin the water up nicely. But its gotten cloudy also in this process I believe its a bacteria bloom from the leaves. Gonna do a water change today and see if it helps gonna post some updated pics also.