Thanks

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

T.Perc
Amoeba

Thanks

Post by T.Perc »

Thanks for the welcome Scott. We share the same name. Anyway, I'm just checking things out over here. FYI I found this site on RC.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Glad to see new faces.... Welcome :D
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
T.Perc
Amoeba

Post by T.Perc »

And thanks to you too.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Nice to see you joined ! Exactly how did you get here, a post on another forum ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Where are you located? Tell us about your set up. Some pictures would be nice too.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Scott is infatuated with tank pictures as much as I am. :lol: hurry with the pics!!!! j/k
T.Perc
Amoeba

Post by T.Perc »

Well, I don't have a digital camera yet so no go on the pics. I Have a 75gal. with 440w vho, red sea wavemaker, 20gal sump, dsb and around 75lbs of live rock. Inhabitants as follows-

4 inch hippo (with no ick)
pated pair of true percs
mandirin (not sure on that spelling)
algae blenny
fire fish
2 cleaner shrimp
tiger star
2 catilina gobies-I keep my tank at 78 - 80
squamosa, crocea, red blue and green shrooms, torch, toadstool leather and some green star polops. Tank has been up and running since 09-02. I dose nothing but balls pickling lime and some magnesium on occasion. Im located in Richmond, VA. Later
T.Perc
Amoeba

Post by T.Perc »

Does this site have tang police? If so I got one for you. I just added a scopas to go along with my hippo. So far so good. :twisted:
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

If there was Tang police amongst our bunch i would be him and i speak from personal experience. I will never again have a Tang if i can help it.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
T.Perc
Amoeba

Post by T.Perc »

Why? Were you not succesful at keeping tangs? I don't see a prob with it as long as you maintain a stress-free invironment. Should be more concerned about the 2 catilina gobies that I have. So far they are fine but what will the long term have in store? Probably not so good since they are cold water fish. I should have done research on them. I did research my tangs and I feel that I can provide a good envrionment for them. In fact they are grazing the rocks together as I "speak". :wink:
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I'm not tang "police" persay, but I'm very aware that you are VERY limited in mixing them, especially in a smaller tank... I've tried repeatedly, and I have been unable to keep more than one in a 100G. On the other hand, I managed to successfully house two pygmy angels in the very same tank with no problems... weird!
-Josh Murrah
T.Perc
Amoeba

Post by T.Perc »

I figured they would estabilsh a pecking order first thing, but all they did was do a few circles around each other. Now they are swimming together. Go figure. And yes, I knew I was taking a chance and was ready to take the scopas out if there were any probs. The scopas will come right up to your hand and eat, so I figured it wouldn't be that difficult. They will be going to a 180 by this time next year. Have a good day-
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Tang police is kinda harsh.... but once you have been burned by the beautiful ones... you kinda avoid them like humm the plague and you suggest that others do to. We have had several and luck with very few of them.... we kept some for a long time with out any problem and then one day just poof lets kill each other, get ick and make every thing else in the tank go to heck in a hand basket. We decided that a 75 was just too small.
T.Perc
Amoeba

Post by T.Perc »

I'm back. Here are the results of the 4" hippo and the scopas in a 75gal. No "wars" but always stayed side-by-side. Not good IMO. Allways competing for food. So I traded the 4" Hippo for a 2" hippo. The scopas is still a resident. The scopas ignores the hippo to no avail. Constantly bugging said fish and myself as well. The hippo goes, the scopas stays.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Tperc I don't know if anyone ever got a location on were you are at. I just wanted to let you know if you were in our area we are having a meeting on Saturday and you are welcome to come if you like.