I've got planaria

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

I've got planaria

Post by Scott »

When I cleaned all the coralline off my glass today I found that I have planaria. Not exactly in plague proportions but enough for me to worry. Does anyone have any good ways to get rid of them. I read that Mandarins and Six Line Wrasses may eat them and some chemicals work, but I don't like putting chemicals in my tank. I would like a Mandarine eventually but I would like to be in the bigger tank.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I've seen a lot of people talk about this stuff on reefcentral. Do a search on reefcentral or other boards for "Flatworm Exit", to see what I mean.. there has been a lot said about it.

I had some of the white ones in my nano , that supposedly eat the red ones (planaria), but they just dissapeared. Hope you are able to get rid of them. :(

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... light=exit

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... genumber=1

One place that sells it:
http://www.fishsupply.com/cgi-bin/f2/co ... MFSF-03000
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Scott man your tank is established well enough that a manderin would probably do fine. That or a Scooter blennie...
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

the mandaran wont eat em, i have a mandaran in my tank and i still have em, i tried a velvet sea slug and he got rid of a hell of alot of em, but the power head found him b4 he could kill em all..
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Well.... we had a mandarin that ate them... I had a tank FULL of them and he ate them til they were gone. Not disputing that they didn't eat the ones in you tank Mike but the experience we have had is they did.... guess it could just be a fluke.
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I have heard that some mandarines (and six line wrasses) will eat them others will not. I am willing to take that chance because I don't like medicating.

Hey Mike, you guys have a mandarine over there at WT?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

flatworms are very toxic, mandarans will craosk if they eat to many
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

I was under the impression that mandarins were primarily bottom dwellers....no, I have never had one, but view them in the same light as scooter blennies. If your flatworm problem is on the glass, I would buy a siz line.....actually any kind of wrasse would do, but I think the six line is better. I have two and they are constantly seeking out some pod or critter to munch on!

Good luck!

Elizabeth