It's my opinion

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Jahdiel
Astrea snail

It's my opinion

Post by Jahdiel »

It's my opinion, but when you get a wrasse, it sould be relaid to you that a wrasse goes down with the tank. We have been trying to catch this little sucker for a couple of weeks now. I EMPTIED the tank of EVERYTHING tonight, he went into the sand, and to find him requires stirring the sand up. WELL you know what a tank that has sat still for over a year then stired looks like don't you? It doesn't! you can't see a darn thing!

I NEED ANOTHER DRINK, this fish is lucky he is so stinken pretty. :evil:
Attachments
20051111213707_wrasse.jpg
20051111213707_wrasse.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Karen
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

whatcha doing with him? You keeping him for the other tank?
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

What kind of wrasse is that?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Finally! Caught him this morning.
Yes Daniell, he went in the other tank. That is a great shot you took of him, I am anxious to see more.
Scott I am not sure but I was told he is a green coris wrasse.
Karen
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

The fish is a Halichoeres melanurus or Tail Spot Wrasse. I had been looking for one at one point but it just wouldn't have done well in my tank without sand. The report is that they are a great fish for removing flatworms and other nusance critters like parasitic Rice snails. At one point someone even mentioned one picking at red bugs but i don't know how accurate the statement was. Those little bugs are so hard to see in the first place, so to see this fish eating them must have taken good eyes.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Thanks for the info. Yes I can vouch for them eating up all the flatworms. We had some in our 125 EVEN after treating it with exit. After we added the wrasse NO flatworm to speak of. I love this little guy. I will also be getting other wrasse that do well together. Any suggestions?
Karen
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

any of the fairy wrasses. They are great fish and extremely colorful.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Do they need sand? I have only had a yellow coris wrasse which liked to bury himself at night and finally to his demise he liked to bury himself on the carpet. I have not had a wrasse since but I hav eseen a lot at Progressive that really looked great.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

None of the fairy wrasses need sand. The one in the picture above likes sand and it would probably be stressful for it to be in a tank without sand. I have 3 fairys and a candy hog in my tank and I don't have any sand. I have a Scott's Fairy Wrasse, Rose Scaled or Strawberry Fairy Wrasse and a Yellow Fin Fairy wrasse. The fairy wrasse build a little mucus cacoon when they sleep at night. None of my fairys touch any of the hermits or snails and all have gone after any food I put in the tank.

There are some fish that they do not go well with. All of the psudos that you have scott would be bad for wrasses. I would also never put one in with a six line wrasse. Six-lines tend to attack a lot of other fish but they really don't like fairy wrasses.

There is a great thead on RC in the reef fish forum. It is stickied at the top of the page.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Have you tried putting a small container of sand in the tank behind some rockwork? It usually works well for folks that have sand retreating fish with barebottom tanks. Incidentally, it also works great for sand dwelling anemones.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium