Let's help out

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Let's help out

Post by Jahdiel »

Ok I am starting up a fund raiser. I will be collecting any kind of help for the victims of Katrina. From reef keeping, personal, to financial. Anyone who wants to help with time and effort let me know, and anyone wanting to donate in any way let know also. Let's pull together and help. Here is what I posted on RC explaining in more depth.

I live here Alabama, I was one of the lucky ones that did not loose my tank to this or the last several storms because of the kindness of another reef keeper. They allowed us to use their generator because they HAD to leave the area. Because of their kindness, my tank made it, but everything in their tank is RTNing due to heat. I am battling with feelings of joy for my tanks survival, but yet extreme guilt for the joy, because of their lose.

I am pleased to say that my daughter and son- n- law from New Orleans managed to escape the day after the storm. He brought all the coral he could to save. YES they Still care about the lives of these corals they cared for day after day. To those who lost everything they and we will be donating corals to. sb1227 you will be my first to help. I would not be able to if it weren't for you generosity with the generator.

G_cuvier that is such an admirable thing you are attempting to do. For those that still have faith in mankind, anyone who wishes to send donations of items for reef keeping, personal needs, to financial, and do not know where to send to. I will be gathering items from around our areas that did not get hit, as well as those that did and just wish to leave the hobby, or find themselves wanting to help out others in any way. I will personally make sure that those that truly need such items or donations get it.
My info is as follows:
Karen Burtnett
9993 County Road 24
Fairhope Alabama 36532
251-990-9283
Come on folks, instead of finding fault in mankind, let's pull together and help.
Karen
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

1st thread was thrown due to insults, here is the latest.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ost5636581
Karen
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Well I hate to tell you ......
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

That's very sweet Karen, glad you had a chance to see that thread. I'm amazed at how people can start hurling insults at people just trying to help in their own way. You really see the best and worst of people in these situations.
My tank is ok, I've lost some stuff (as I'm sure everyone else has), but everything else seems to be hanging in there for now. I'm just happy to have a home, we've all got friends and family who don't.
I'm still trying to get the word out that we'll take care of the animals of the evacuees so they can take care of their business without having to worry about them, but not having much luck. I've notified vets, reptile and other forums but no one seems to know how to get in touch with anyone. I emailed the founder of Noahs wish (one of the emergency animal rescue teams) so hopefully someone will have an idea. If any of you have any suggestions, let me know.

Hope all are well, if there's anything I can do, let me know.

Sue
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I think people that do not know Karen are taking her the wrong way.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I just got back from taking my little puppy to the vet, she is having a VERY bad reaction to med, and the vet is doing all ha can.
I did not get to see what was being said after my post to help, but it must have been stupidity. I still plan on continuing my efforts to help. And Sue my other offer to keep victims animals till they can also stands so let me know what you learn.
Good persevere, and evil thoughts like those on RC will receive their just due.
Karen
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Now you know why I frequent my own forum and not the others. The other forums are full of flamebait and trolls ready to hook you.

Nothing like the people that have nothing better to do than flame or rip someones post apart. I used to frequest Reefs.org, Reefcentral etc. but no more. F-them.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

best way to help: 1-800-HELPNOW
-Josh Murrah
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

My brother most of you have met, is in with the Tonny Robbin's group. He has called on all of them for their help. He is headed to PA to pick up a trailer load of supplies to take to LA and MS next week. He is also renting out some of his apts, for free, to those who lost everything. I love to see America at its finest.
Karen