2 dottybacks in the same tank(?)

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

2 dottybacks in the same tank(?)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

So, and I say this with my fingers crossed, my new tank should be here soon. Now the question rises up as to what other fish to add. I know I would like to add some type of goby/blenny, but I love dottybacks. Seeing how they are pissy and territorial, what do you think about having 2 different species in the same tank? I would probally go with something like a springerri. Do you think it would be possible to set up a small tank for the current dotty and aclimate the new guy to the main tank and then reintroduce the old one? Would completely removing the original dotty from it's old habitat and then reintroducing it relieve is territorialness (thats a word right ;) )?
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

It is possible that by removing the old dotty back and giving the new one first dibs on territory might help. I wouldn't recommend 2 of them in a tank less than 4-5 feet long. I will tell you though, that the secong the old dottyback sees his old tank mates (when you re-introduce him) he will most likely take up his place as "ruler of the roost" once again. They are very smart that way!

Good luck!

Elizabeth
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I have 4 in my 55 gallon and have had as many as 6 at one time. I think the fact that mine are aquacultured and added at the same time is the reasons I don't have a problem. I like the springeri and the orchids. I think the neons are one of the most aggresive species that are regularly available.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I have never had a Dotty EVER, don't know why but when i was shopping for fish i never saw one.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate