Okay so a group opioion question for you all.

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Okay so a group opioion question for you all.

Post by harbingerofthefish »

Well It's getting about that time to get new bulbs for my 7 gallon, and the inevitable thought has crossed my mind again. I have this 20 gallon, just sitting there with it's brand spankin new 146 watt pc setup.

I don't enough room in my new place to setup 2 tanks, and I love the little guy, but after bouncing this off you all, how many would just move everything from the 7 into the 20 and use the bulb $ to add more rock?

Using the 20 with the lights would add more water to work with, leave room for another fish or two, and of course more room for coral, as well as upping the light intensity, so I could maybe try for a few more LPS.

The way I figure it, I'm looking at $30+ for the bulbs for the 7, I could use that to get base rock and use what I have to cover it up.

What would you all do?
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

What is this 146 watt pc set up that you have? How many bulbs? I would say go for the 20 gallon if you have the room. Do you have a skimmer yet?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

the 146 setup is:

2X55's -have 2 50/50's and one of each 03 and 10,000k so I can see what I like better.
1x36 03

so it's 3 bulbs with the 36 in the middle. All enclosed with fans and 2 plugs/switches. 1 for the 36 and 1 for the 2x55s.

No I don't have a skimmer, and not really sure if I would use one anyway. I haven't really had a need in the 7 for one. I really don't want to add a sump. Maybe an over tank refuge though.

I was looking at www.hirocks.com at thier base rock and for $35 shipped you can get 30 lbs of small sized pieces, nothing a bunch of glue can fix. And it looks nice to boot. Which is what I would end up paying for new bulbs anyway.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Go with the larger setup!!!!! :D
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Do it, 20 gallons is still small and very easy to work with.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Go with the larger aquarium.... that's what I'm doing too :)
-Josh Murrah
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I would go with the larger tank. Also another thought since you will not need that much rock why not take your time and look around and get one piece at a time of good quality rock. something like Marshal Island ...you can somtimes find some of that magic rock ...(the kind with lots of holes- looks big but weighs little). Rich from Progressive had some a while back. It does cost a little more but since you have very little area and no skimmer it will give you better filtration and a better look.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I would go with the larger tank too. Maybe keep the small one for a back up quaranteen tank that oyu could keep in a closet if you had too :D
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
harbingerofthefish
Copepod

Salt'n'Lime wrote:... that oyu could keep in a closet if you had too :D
I'll keep it with the 5.5 and 2.5 and 1 ;)