Clownfish question

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

HCJohn
Amoeba

Clownfish question

Post by HCJohn »

Ive got 2 tomato clowns in my tank and wanted to get an anemone to host once my lighting came in.

After doing alot of reading seems that these boys will host in just about anything...Xenia, Powerheads, HammerCoral...you name it.

With that said, knowing how hard anemones are to take care of and the limited size of my tank...should I just try to get them to host in some coral? I want them to host in something regardless...one of the main reasons I like clowns. Have you guys had any luck or non luck in this area?

Thanks in advance.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
35lbs Fiji rock (taken by Katrina)
50lbs Live Sand (taken by Katrina)
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

If you really wanted for the clownfish to have a host, go with an anemone. Sometimes when the clownfish host in corals, they become an irritant to the coral, and the coral might be bothered. This can also cause a noticeable stop in growth and can lead to the demise of the coral.
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advice.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

We have 2 true percs in one tank and a maroon in another. The percs will host with just about anything but when they did have an anemone they ended up driving it completely nuts and eventually killing it. (weird but true) Very hard to explain but it was like they just wouldn't leave them alone (EVER) now they are hosting with a small peice of frogspawn that they took too after disposing of what was left of their ritteri. We probably wont get another one for them. The Maroon has hosted with a number of different thing right now it is hosting on a piece of crown leather and some Xenia.

The only thing I have to say about Anemone's make sure everything is right for them and that you get a healthy one. We have purchased several that were beautiful and have no explanation on why they didn't live.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

My clown stays in a torch coral and it doesn't seem to be bothering the coral. Every Anemone that I have bought has been eaten by my wild caught anemones or been sucked into a power head. They move around too much. My clown did get into a Condelactis anemone until it got sucked into a power head. I only paid 5 bucks for it so it wasn't a big loss.
trick0330
Amoeba

Post by trick0330 »

well our fish have decided that the roadictus (pardon spelling) are the best. plus they do not move around the tank :)
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

My perc clownfish are bums. They are homeless! They could care less if I had them an anemome, coral, hairy mushroom or anything. My point is, there are no sure things when it comes to clownfish & hosting.
Wind me up!
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I have to agree with KrazyPlace; we had a false perc for about a year and a half, and he never hosted in anything we put in the tank, including a LTA.
-Josh Murrah
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Sadly, Mine are hanging all over one of my powerheads. Im hoping that the good in this is that they are easily adaptable and just looking for a host. My lights are supposed to be here this afternoon so hopefully I can start putting other stuff in other than Live Rock.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting