Do I really want fish?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

DrHank
Amoeba

Do I really want fish?

Post by DrHank »

I'm setting up a 29 Gallon tank at my office. Using about 2" of agromax (thanks Drew) 35-40 lbs of live rock, 2-65w PCs, 10 gallon sump/fuge, skimmer, etc. The tank will have to fend for itself over the weekends (we may be in for a limited time on some Saturdays but not all). I'm looking for minimum maintenance. Thinking Softies, shrooms, rics, and maybe one easy LPS. The usual cleaning crew, and possibly a shrimp.

I may add up to three small fish. I'd like your suggestions on types of fish or the advisability of any at all. Further any suggestions you may have to help my project along would be appreciated. :D
Doc :D
GeoGriffin
Amoeba

Post by GeoGriffin »

The only things I can think of that are critical for my office tank is; 1. make sure the sump can handle up to 2-3 days of evaporation without letting the return pump suck air. 2. get fish that don’t need food everyday (most are ok with this). 3. (minor) Have a battery powered airstone that kicks on when power goes out (especially if pumps are on a GFIC).

As for fish selection, I go with the more common & colorful fish at work. This is so that regular folks & kids (non-saltwater people) can see stuff they recognize from TV, books, ect. More exotic things I'm interested in goes in the tank at the house.

You should have at least one Ocellaris clown (Nemo) for the kids.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Small Gobies. At least I'm consistant. :lol:
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

There are some smaller species of cardinals out there that are interesting. If you get a line on them and are ordering some let me know. I'd probably take a few. One of the ones I really like is the orange stripe cardinal. I've seen them listed as both the orange stripe and yellow stripe. I guess they are a little different. I had one at one time and its colors were amazing. I'm going to try to get a few once I get my tank back up.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yeah, there are a bunch of species that are commonly called "orange" or "yellow" lined cardinals. Most look too similar to tell them apart without lots of observation.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I had one like this guy with more blue in it though. It was a very nice fish. I had a place in pensacola order me more but every time they were more of a brown stripe with not blue.

GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

If it were me I'd do small gobies, a pistol shrimp/watchman goby combo, and/or clownfish.
-Kristyn
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

Thanks folks. It looks like it will be home for a pair of cinnamon clowns. I'm adopting them from a fellow reef keeper who is taking down her system. Guess I've always been a sucker for a nice pair of clowns! :D
Doc :D