Pom Pom Crab and Sand Dollar

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Pom Pom Crab and Sand Dollar

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

Has anyone ever had a live Sand Dollar in your tank? I saw some web site a few days ago that sold them and I thought that would be a cool thing to have. From doing research online they're kinda like urchins. I threw my pencil and pincushion urchins in my QT tank because they kept knocking rocks over and moving my macroalgae all over the place.

Has anyone ever had a Pom Pom Crab in a reef tank? I was looking at them online and thought they were cute. But I'd just be worried about it harming my corals with it's anenome(s).
-Kristyn
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

If you've ever seen the sand dollars, they are like little rat terriers, digging digging digging up the sand.. they will make a mess of your tank if you have really fine sand, and will quickly eat all the good fauna in the sand bed.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

ps: If you ever see pom pom crabs for sale locally, let me know.. I'd love to have one of those in my tank.. they are neat little boogers.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Will do. I thought I heard Progressive say they've gotten them in before. I was considering ordering one online if I can't find one around here.
-Kristyn
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I would not recommend the sand dollars. They need immense sand surface area (not to mention depth, a bare minimum of 6") in order to feed on organic deposits. They also regularly surface to filter feed, though it is unknown as to what exactly they filter feed on. Overall, their record is poor, most not lasting more than a few months.
Anemone crabs seem to do OK, but sometimes they do pick at corals and the anemones they keep on their claws will sting corals.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

I have a pom-pom crab in my tank. Although in a 125 with all the rockwork he is rarely seen. I havent noticed any problems caused by him but if I get the chance I may put him in our nano tank in the bedroom. Only so he can be seen more often.

Jeff
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

I also have a pom pom crab in my tank and have had no problems with it messing with any of my corals but i also rarely see it as that it hides alot... Progressive does get them in fairly often , i got mine there.

The sand dollars dont tend to do well and eventually starve to death... If you just wanted to have something that looks kinda cool and will keep the sand stirred up a little sand you can try a horse shoe crab... i have a small one in my nano tank that has survived with a emerald and a small mantis shrimp ( i dont recommend putting things that you are worried about keeping around- as that a mantis will eventually take care of it)
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

I'm glad to hear others have tried a pom pom crab without problems. Cause I'd really like to have one...they're really cute. I had a horseshoe crab once but he starved to death after a few months. I didn't see him often since he stayed burried under the sand 90% of the time. Luckily he died on top of the sand so I could take him out.
-Kristyn
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

i've seen a picture of a pom pom crab that had pulsing xenia on his claws ;p

it was really funny... especially the video
titansgurl
Amoeba

Post by titansgurl »

I would love to see that!
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

titansgurl wrote:I would love to see that!
You saw those pom pom crabs the last time we went to Progressive.

oh and btw I wouldn't want to have a pom pom in my tank with xenia on its claws. Thats like a WMD. :lol:
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

Fishfood wrote:
titansgurl wrote: oh and btw I wouldn't want to have a pom pom in my tank with xenia on its claws. Thats like a WMD. :lol:
so true!
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

mykpoz wrote:
Fishfood wrote: oh and btw I wouldn't want to have a pom pom in my tank with xenia on its claws. Thats like a WMD. :lol:
so true!
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I also have a pom pom crab in my 20g tank and see him every so often. I picked him up at Progressive a few months ago.
titansgurl
Amoeba

Post by titansgurl »

No, I want to see that video!