New Lights. more algae

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

jerryf
Amoeba

New Lights. more algae

Post by jerryf »

I have my MH's installed along with my Power Compacts. Now my algae growth is going crazy. Do I need to add more snails/crabs or are there other options?
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Yeah... Me too.... If I don;t stop the algae growth my tank will be a refugium in another month :D

Guess I'll do my first water change ! :shock:
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

same thng happene whaen I first started my tank. I cycled w/ a 15 watt NO while the 32 watt PC was coming in. When I thre on the PC the hair went BOOM!. That's when I added my conch.
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

What are your water parameters? Specifically NH3, NO2, NO3 and PO4. Some algae outbreaks are normal, but if any parameters are off start there first. Are you using RO water? Have you had anything die in the tank recently?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

What are your water parameters? Specifically NH3, NO2, NO3 and PO4. Some algae outbreaks are normal, but if any parameters are off start there first. Are you using RO water? Have you had anything die in the tank recently?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
jerryf
Amoeba

Post by jerryf »

I'll have to test everything. I am using an RO unit, but it's new. It's a Kent Maxima Hi-S. Should I also test the RO water to be sure it's working properly?
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

It is always a good idea to test the RO water, just for the "heck" of it to make sure your batting zero from the start. If I'm not mistaken you should be looking for phosphates and silicates as well as nitrates and what ever else you may be testing for... We usually test our RO every once in a while to make sure it is still producing "clean" water....
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

What are you using for nutrient extraction? The algae has to be feeding off nutrients from somewhere. Bioload/Feeding?
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Hey Jerry, what type of algae is blooming??? Diatoms, hair, cyano??
jerryf
Amoeba

Post by jerryf »

Now you guys are really testing me. It's beautiful bright green algae. Mostly on the glass, but it's on the sand as well. I useonly a protein skimmer and approximately 8% water changes weekly.