How to move a large tank... need help.

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

How to move a large tank... need help.

Post by Brandon »

Alright guys.. I need help here. Need your thoughts, ideas, tips. I will need to move my 125. It's 72x18x22. Long and skinny. I have about 200lbs of southdown sand and I have no idea how much rock , probably 150-200lbs, most of it with corals attached to it, either growing on it or glued. Approx 10 fish, unknown # of inverts.

I figured I could move the rock in lots of rubbermaid containers.
I'd love to be able to move the tank with the sand in it, just drain most all of the water, but it seems like it might break the tank if I try and move it with that weight, because it wouldn't be supported in the middle.

I even thought about setting up a large rummermaid cattle water trough thing in the basement of the new house to temporarily hold everything.
No clue how I am going to do this.....ideas?
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

How far is the move??? Where is your new house??

Setting up a temporary home for everything is your best bet.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

The move is only 5 minutes away from here.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I have one of those large rubbermaid containers in my backyard not in use if you need one. I would remove every once of sand the tank is too heavy as it is without adding the sand. Just do it on the weekend i am sure you can recruit plenty of help from us members.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

You've got one of those big cattle things?? Yeah, I think I might need to borrow that, that would be a great help.. seeing as how we're very broke :)
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yes i do it is a water feeding trough(sp) made by Rubbermaid, 100 gallons i think. Just needs to be washed out.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

Wonderful! Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!! I called around to a feed store about a cattle water trough, but this will save our day! Thank you thank you!!
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

We'll be able to move the other 3 salt tanks with no problems I think. I'll take out all my rock (my poor little shrimpy and his buddy the fish will be pissed, but they'll be okay) and corals, but my tank is just 10 gallons. Will be a good opportunity to add more sand anyways and do some housekeeping. :)
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

When you get over 50 gallons that is when it seems to get alot harder. More buckets of sand to move, more water to make, etc...
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
tanker stanker
Amoeba

Post by tanker stanker »

You know, this is where 25 5 gallon buckets come in handy...
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well i only have about 12 10 gallon buckets.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

It will suck to have to start my sandbed again. It took a long time to build up to this number of critters, I have spaghetti worm, etc galore. I think I can siphon off the top layer and use that to re-seed the new bed, maybe that way I will get some worms, etc with it.
Dys
Amoeba

Post by Dys »

brandon...

I would not recommend moving that tank with anything in it... as sucky as it is to restart, its better than having to buy a new tank. I have a friend who had a 110 and removed everything but the sand and about 1-2 inches of the water, lets just say it wasnt pretty all over the carpet.
I'll respect you in the morning, but I won't wake up till noon.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Dys wrote:brandon...

I would not recommend moving that tank with anything in it... as sucky as it is to restart, its better than having to buy a new tank. I have a friend who had a 110 and removed everything but the sand and about 1-2 inches of the water, lets just say it wasnt pretty all over the carpet.
Did he drop it? I have moved a couple that has sand and water and had no problems.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Will be happy to help if not working....you can also use clean rubber garbage cans for some of the move....try to borrow pumps (Maxi jets, ect to keep water moving on sand bed or just the water...Have moved the 240 couple of times ......not that bad if you have lots of help...(4 is plenty). The trick is to line up everything so it is not tore down that long... On the 240 I started at 5am and was up and running by 11am....also good time to do a water change....It does not take long for the sand bed to go south without water movement and keep everything in the shade....Have extra water ready.