Scutus antipodes (black sea slug/nudibranch) for trade

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Scutus antipodes (black sea slug/nudibranch) for trade

Post by KrazyPlace »

I know several people have asked me if I'd trade my Scutus antipodes Sp. The babies are now big enough to trade off (1/2" - 3/4"). If anyone is interested in trading a frag let me know.

I've never seen these available anywhere. I started off with 2 or 3 that came in with some live rock about 2 1/2 years ago. I have at least a dozen now. The original ones are 3-4" long.

The are mostly noctornal, but can be seen about 1 hour before the lights go out. They act like any nudibranch. I don't know what they eat, but they DON'T eat corals! They usually are found on the glass or the rock grazing, but never in the sand.

I can't get any good pictures with my camera because of its low resolution and the fact that they are jet black. Here are some good links that describe them:

http://www.nudibranch.com.au/pages/8163a.htm
http://faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID=32

Here are some pictures I found on the Internet:

Wind me up!
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

count me in...let me know when where how....Terry....do I need two to breed or only one...
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I have seen yours Jeff and they are awesome looking. But, after my
son n law spent the entire weekend pulling 20+ nudibranches from my
zoa tank, (they were have a feast on the zoas), I have to ask you,
are yours safe for Zoas?
Karen
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

tbmoore wrote:count me in...let me know when where how....Terry....do I need two to breed or only one...
Terry, I'll send you a PM. I'll deliver at the next meeting.
Wind me up!
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Jahdiel wrote:I have seen yours Jeff and they are awesome looking. But, after my son n law spent the entire weekend pulling 20+ nudibranches from my zoa tank, (they were have a feast on the zoas), I have to ask you, are yours safe for Zoas?
I've had these since the beginning (almost 3 years) and now I have more than a dozen of them that are between 1/2" and 3" long. I would be willing to bet that they are. I haven't had any trouble with mine at all. Unfortunately there isn't much documentation on these, so I can't find a reference that says they are.
Wind me up!
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I am sorry I can't remember if you have zoas in your tank? If you do and they dont seem to bother them, well perhaps the difference in species? I would love to get one of them from you, I just need to know that I am not setting myself up for problems.
Karen
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

I have your zoas in my tank and I have something that looks like a really big polyp, but eats mysis shrimp. Sorry, but I'm not sure the difference between a zoa and a polyp. I can tell you that the Scutus do not eat ANYTHING in my tank.
Attachments
zoa or polyps?
zoa or polyps?
unknown critters.jpg (76.74 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
Wind me up!
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

Jahdiel wrote:I have seen yours Jeff and they are awesome looking. But, after my
son n law spent the entire weekend pulling 20+ nudibranches from my
zoa tank, (they were have a feast on the zoas), I have to ask you,
are yours safe for Zoas?
According to the link krazyplace posted, they're not nudis.
Scutus is not a slug (nudibranch) but a marine snail with a white shield-like shell on its back. The shell is usually covered by flaps of the mantle, but they sometimes withdraw slightly to expose part of the shell. It belongs to the family Fissurellidae which includes the Slit-Limpets and Keyhole Limpets so named because their limpet-shaped shells have either a slit or apical 'keyhole' to allow the discharge of exhalant water from the mantle cavity.
Was the source of your zoa problem maybe not even closely related to this guy?
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

No I don't have one of these guys in my tank, I have your basic looking
nudibranches. I'll have to get a pic up for you of them. That was why I was asking if the spieces makes the difference.
Karen
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Thanks to Jeff and Beaver for coming by today....Jeff traded the little rascals ( will see if they come out tonight..)and Beaver brought couple of frags....lets hope all does well...Thanks again...Terry...
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Terry - The frags are all doing well. Thanks very much for the generous trade! :D
Wind me up!